Matrix Equation AXB=C solve for X

• Thread starter Sage Sky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
It doesn't matter where you keep them, as long as you remember to multiply them in the end.ok thxIn summary, the conversation discusses a question in math coursework on matrices. The question asks to solve for the inverses of matrices A and B and to solve the equation AXB=C. The solution involves rearranging the equation to use the inverse of A and B, finding the determinants of A and B, and then using the inverse of A and B to solve for X. The final answer is X=\frac{1}{264} \begin{pmatrix} 114 & -45 \\ 16 & -4\end{pmatrix}.
Sage Sky
Hi

I have a question in my math coursework on matrices
Question is
Three matrices A, B and C are given by:

[tex]A = \begin{pmatrix} 2 & 5 \\ -4 & 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]
[tex]B = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 3 \\ -2 & 6 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]C = \begin{pmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ -3 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

a) find the inverses of A and B
b) Solve the equation AXB=C

This is my solution

iknow have rearranged equation to make it

[itex]{X=}A\frac{C}{A B} [/itex]

i understand that you can't dived in matrices so i have to use the inverse of A and B
to make the equation [itex]{X=}{A}^{-1} {C} {B}^{-1} [/itex]

The det [itex]\left|A\right|[/itex] = 22
det [itex]\left|B\right|[/itex] = 12

[itex]A^{-1} = \frac{1}{22}[/itex] \begin{pmatrix} 1 & -5 \\ 4 & 2 \end{pmatrix}
[itex]B^{-1} = \frac{1}{12} [/itex] /begin{pmatrix} 6 & -3 \\ 2 & 1 \end{pmatrix}

and my answer for inv A mutliplied C is \frac{1}{22}[/itex] \begin{pmatrix} 17 & 6 \\ 2 & 2 \end{pmatrix} or \begin{pmatrix} 0.7727 & 0.2727 \\ 0.0909 & 0.0909\end{pmatrix}

and then i mutlipy by inv B i get matrix X= \begin{pmatrix} 0.4318 & -0.1705 \\ 0.0606 & -0.0152\end{pmatrix}

my question is this answer correct and how can i show the answer for Matrix X as [itex]X=\frac{1}{?} [/itex]\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix}

do i add the [itex]\frac {1}{22}+ \frac{1}{12} [/itex]which would make it [itex] \frac{1}{34} ?[/itex]

would this then make Matrix X [itex]X=\frac{1}{34} [/itex]\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix}

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Sage Sky! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If you're having trouble writing matrices in latex,

then try the CODE button instead, like this …

Code:
1 2 3    1 3 2
4 5 6    4 6 7
7 8 9    9 8 7

:wink:

thx got it except its goes to new line on matrixs

Hi Sage Sky! :smile:
Sage Sky said:
… how can i show the answer for Matrix X as [itex]X=\frac{1}{?} \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

do i add the [itex]\frac {1}{22}+ \frac{1}{12} [/itex]which would make it [itex] \frac{1}{34} ?[/itex]

would this then make Matrix X [itex]X=\frac{1}{34}\begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d\end{pmatrix} [/itex]

(i haven't checked your figures, but the method looks ok)

you could have kept the factors 1/22 and 1/12 outside the matrices all the time :wink:

(so you'd be multiplying them in the end)

Sage Sky said:
thx got it except its goes to new line on matrixs
It doesn't. You were doing strange tricks to the opening and closing tags (you were opening them and closing them in random places).

And be consistent - don't mix LaTeX with non LaTeX formulas.

ok so it would be [itex] \frac{1}{264} \begin{pmatrix} 114 & -45 \\ 16 & -4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Sage Sky said:
ok so it would be [itex] \frac{1}{264} \begin{pmatrix} 114 & -45 \\ 16 & -4\end{pmatrix}[/itex]
You can check your answer by multiplying AXB and comparing it to C. Don't bring the fractions into your matrices - you can move them all the way to the left and multiply all of them together and all the matrices together.

1. What is a matrix equation?

A matrix equation is a mathematical expression that represents a set of linear equations using matrices. It is written in the form AXB=C, where A, B, and C are matrices and X is the unknown matrix to be solved.

2. How do you solve a matrix equation?

To solve a matrix equation, you need to use matrix operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to manipulate the matrices in the equation to isolate the unknown matrix X on one side and the known matrices on the other side.

3. What is the purpose of solving a matrix equation?

The purpose of solving a matrix equation is to find the value of the unknown matrix X. This can be useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics, where systems of linear equations are used to model real-world problems.

4. What are the steps to solve a matrix equation?

The steps to solve a matrix equation are as follows:
1. Use matrix operations to isolate the unknown matrix X on one side of the equation.
2. Use the inverse of the known matrices to cancel them out.
3. Apply the inverse operations to the other side of the equation.
4. Simplify the equation to get the value of the unknown matrix X.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving a matrix equation?

Yes, there are a few special cases to consider when solving a matrix equation.
1. If the equation has no solution, it means that the system of linear equations is inconsistent and cannot be solved.
2. If the equation has infinitely many solutions, it means that the system of linear equations is dependent and the solution is not unique.
3. If the equation has a unique solution, it means that the system of linear equations is consistent and the solution is unique.