Matrix Representation of a Uniform Sphere Centered at the Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic matrix form for a uniform sphere centered at the origin, as well as the necessary parameters for describing such a sphere. The participants also mention using matrices for rotation and testing ellipsoid-plotting code. There is also a discussion about the possibility of achieving a spherical shape using vectors or different dimensions, and the concept of space and time bending.
PhysicsChode
What is the basic matrix form for a uniform (unit) sphere centered at the origin? Given a vector that specifies the radii (1,1,1) == (r1,r2,r3), I would like the matrix that implies no rotation (is it [[1,0,0],[0,1,0],[0,0,1]]?) and covers the rest of the necessary parameters.
I am testing ellipsoid-plotting code, and I also welcome any other matrices useful for testing.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello PC,

What is it you expect from a matrix to describe a sphere ? On what will you turn loose such a matrix ?
I know of matrices that represent a rotation about a given axis, but you probably know that too.

The matrix I'm asking for, combined with a 3-vector for the 3 perpendicular radii of the ellipsoid (in this case a sphere) produces an ellipsoid with a rotation specified by the matrix.

A matrix on a vector produces a vector, not an ellipsoid. So I still don't get it. Or do you want variables in there ? Like in wiki rotation matrix which I hope you checked already.

I was thinking about vectors as well in the matrix. However, if space and time bend.. Perhaps you can achieve a spherical shape, that looks like vectors. Take a pyramid for instance.. when you look at it one way its a pyramid, and another way it can look completely different such as a triangle from a 2d perspective. Perhaps you can see a sphere the same way, in vectors or different dimensions?

Funny thing about a sphere is that it looks the same, no matter from where you look at it. I think even when you manage to move relative to the thing with a speed that is a considerable fraction of the light speed (but I could be a bit wrong there) .

But you have something in mind I can't fathom yet: testing plotting code that receives a matrix as input ? What's it look like ?

And if you think space and time bend, what am I to make of that ?

Last edited:
Declun said:
I was thinking about vectors as well in the matrix. However, if space and time bend.. Perhaps you can achieve a spherical shape, that looks like vectors. Take a pyramid for instance.. when you look at it one way its a pyramid, and another way it can look completely different such as a triangle from a 2d perspective. Perhaps you can see a sphere the same way, in vectors or different dimensions?
Frankly, what you are saying (for example "Perhaps you can achieve a spherical shape, that looks like a line") makes me think you are using words that you don't understand. A sphere has the property that, looked at from any angle, it still looks like a sphere. However, there is NO three dimensional object such that, looked at from a specific angle, looks like a line.

1. What is the matrix form for a sphere?

The matrix form for a sphere is a mathematical representation of a sphere using a 3x3 matrix. The matrix represents the coordinates of points on the surface of the sphere in 3-dimensional space.

2. How is the matrix form for a sphere derived?

The matrix form for a sphere is derived using the equation for a sphere, x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = r^2, where r is the radius of the sphere. By solving for x, y, and z and representing them in matrix form, the equation can be generalized for any size sphere.

3. How is the matrix form for a sphere used in computer graphics?

The matrix form for a sphere is commonly used in computer graphics to create 3-dimensional objects. By manipulating the matrix, the size, position, and orientation of the sphere can be altered to create different effects and shapes.

4. Can the matrix form for a sphere be used to represent other shapes?

Yes, the matrix form for a sphere can be used to represent other shapes such as ellipsoids and spheroids. By changing the values in the matrix, the shape of the object can be transformed to fit different dimensions and proportions.

5. What are the advantages of using the matrix form for a sphere?

The matrix form for a sphere offers a compact and efficient way to represent a 3-dimensional object. It also allows for easy manipulation and transformation of the object, making it a useful tool in computer graphics and other applications.