1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix is a perfect square?

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is the following matrix a perfect square? A matrix A is a perfect square if there is a matrix B such that A = B2

____1 1 0 0
    A = 0 1 0 0
    -----0 0 1 0
    -----0 0 0 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't come across anything like this before, but here's what I'm thinking.

All eigenvalues of A are equal to 1, and the minimal polynomial is m(t) = (t-1)2
    and the characteristic polynomial is p(t) = (t-1)4.

Both of these are perfect squares, so does that mean the matrix is a perfect square?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here is a hint: look at the function f(A) = sqrt(e*I + A), where I = identity matrix and e > 0 is a small parameter. You can compute f(A) from the fact that A is a Jordan form with one Jordan block of size 2 and two of size 1, and all eigenvalues are 1. Basically, if f(x) = sum c_n*x^n is an analytic function, then f(A) = c_0*I + sum_{n=1..infinity} c_n * A^n; I = A^0. Since A is so simple, you can get all the A^n easily and do the sum. After you have a nice final formula for f(A) you can see if it has a definite limit as e --> 0. Or, for a quicker way see, eg, Gantmacher, Theory of Matrices, or Google "analytic functions of matrices".

RGV

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  4. Aug 31, 2011 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Maybe_Memorie! :smile:

What you're thinking may be true or not.
    I do not know (yet).
    But without proof you cannot use it.

Here's another method.
    If A is a perfect square, it should have one or more square roots.
    One method to find a square root is to calculate a power series expansion for a broken power:
    [tex](I+X)^{1 \over 2}=I + {1 \over 2} X - {1 \over 8} X^2 + ...[/tex]
    Are you already familar with those?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook