Solving Logistic ODE with Non-commuting Matrices

In summary, the conversation is about finding a general solution for the logistic ODE with square matrices and a scalar parameter. A possible solution for the scalar equivalent is suggested but it does not work when the matrices do not commute. The conversation continues with discussing different versions of the scalar equation and the commutation problem. The suggestion of diagonalizing the matrices is also mentioned, but it does not lead to a solution. The practical goal and the need for a formal solution are also questioned.
Manchot
I'm trying to find a general solution for the logistic ODE [itex]\frac{dU}{dx}=A(I-U)U[/itex], where A and U are square matrices and x is a scalar parameter. Inspired by the scalar equivalent I guessed that [itex]U=(I+e^{-Ax})^{-1}[/itex] is a valid solution; however, [itex]U=(I+e^{-Ax+B})^{-1}[/itex] is not when U and A don't commute. Any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The general solution to the scaler equation is:

E^(A x)/(E^(A x) + E^C)

where C is a constant.
Maybe this can lead to a similar solution for the matricial version?

If U is a function of A,
then U commutes with A.

I tried all sorts of versions of the scalar equation, maajdl. They all run into the same commutation problem. Unfortunately, U is a function of both A and the initial condition, which means that it doesn't commute with A unless the initial condition does.

Could that help?

Assuming:

A = M-1DM where D is a diagonal matrix
V = MUM-1

The ODE becomes:

dV/dx = D(I-V)V

Yeah, I tried diagonalizing both A and the initial condition. No dice.

What is your practical goal?
Why do you need a formal solution?

1. What is a Logistic ODE and why is it important?

A Logistic ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a type of mathematical equation that describes the change of a variable over time. It is commonly used in modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and other natural phenomena. Solving a Logistic ODE with non-commuting matrices is important because it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. What are non-commuting matrices?

Non-commuting matrices are matrices that do not satisfy the commutative property, which states that the order of multiplication does not affect the result. In other words, the product of two non-commuting matrices depends on the order in which they are multiplied. This can make solving systems of equations with non-commuting matrices challenging and requires specialized techniques.

3. How do you solve a Logistic ODE with non-commuting matrices?

The most common method for solving a Logistic ODE with non-commuting matrices is by using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve breaking the problem down into smaller steps and approximating the solution at each step. Other techniques, such as matrix diagonalization and Jordan canonical form, can also be used depending on the specific problem.

4. What are the challenges of solving a Logistic ODE with non-commuting matrices?

The main challenge of solving a Logistic ODE with non-commuting matrices is that it requires specialized techniques and is not as straightforward as solving systems of equations with commuting matrices. Additionally, the complexity of the problem increases as the number of non-commuting matrices and variables involved increases. This can make it difficult to find an exact solution and may require approximation methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Logistic ODEs with non-commuting matrices?

Solving Logistic ODEs with non-commuting matrices has many real-world applications, such as modeling the spread of diseases, analyzing financial markets, and predicting the growth of biological populations. It is also used in engineering and physics to model complex systems, such as fluid dynamics and electrical circuits. Overall, any system that involves multiple variables and non-commuting relationships can benefit from using this technique.