Proving A^n = 0 for an n x n-Matrix A

• Thread starter Seb97
  • Start date
In summary, the author attempted to solve an equation using the inverse of a matrix, but was unable to produce a result for all integer values of n.
Seb97

Homework Statement

For an n x n-matrix A we have A^N = 0 for some N. Prove that A^n = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the inverse of A^n and multiplied across by it. and I got the Identity equal to zero. But that can't happen. Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly is the problem statement? Are you supposed to prove that A^n = 0 for all integer values of n? (This is not true - counterexample is the 2x2 matrix with 1 in the upper right corner and 0 elsewhere. A^2 = 0, but A^1 != 0.)
Or for all integer values of n >= N?

You said you took the inverse of A^n and did something with it. What guarantee do you have that A or A^n have inverses?

No that's precisely what the question says. I was hoping for a different view on it. Now I am really confused because I taught the inverses had something to do with it. What do you is the right approach or what would you do?

Hi Mark44
How would you prove that the rank of the matrix would be zero because if I can do that then it would be proved wouldn't it??

OK, it went right past me that the matrix is n x n and you're trying to show that A^n = 0.
I think you can assume that 2 <= N <= n. If N > n, then it might be possible that A^N = 0, but for a smaller exponent, n, A^n != 0. If it's not reasonable to make that assumption, you can at least break down the problem into two cases: 2 <= N <= n, and N > n.

The first case is pretty easy to prove. A^1 = whatever, A^2 = whatever, ..., A^N = 0, A^(N + 1) = A^N * A = 0*A = 0, and so on.

Hi Mark44

Thanks a million your a legend. I can now go to sleep tonight. Thanks again

You'll need to say it more elegantly than I did. I was just thinking out loud, so to speak.

What is the definition of "A^n"?

"A^n" refers to the product of matrix A multiplied by itself n times.

Why is it important to prove A^n = 0 for an n x n-matrix A?

Proving A^n = 0 for an n x n-matrix A is important in understanding the properties and behavior of matrices. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering and computer science.

What is the mathematical proof for A^n = 0?

The mathematical proof for A^n = 0 involves using mathematical induction and the properties of matrix multiplication to show that each entry in the resulting matrix is equal to 0.

Can A^n = 0 for all types of matrices?

No, A^n = 0 only applies to square matrices (n x n matrices) since the power of a matrix must be equal to the number of rows and columns in order for the multiplication to be valid.

What are some real-world applications of A^n = 0?

A^n = 0 has many real-world applications, such as in population growth models, electrical circuit analysis, and computer graphics. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in cryptography.