1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix please help

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For an n x n-matrix A we have A^N = 0 for some N. Prove that A^n = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the inverse of A^n and multiplied across by it. and I got the Identity equal to zero. But that cant happen. Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What exactly is the problem statement? Are you supposed to prove that A^n = 0 for all integer values of n? (This is not true - counterexample is the 2x2 matrix with 1 in the upper right corner and 0 elsewhere. A^2 = 0, but A^1 != 0.)
    Or for all integer values of n >= N?

You said you took the inverse of A^n and did something with it. What guarantee do you have that A or A^n have inverses?

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3
    No thats precisely what the question says. I was hoping for a different view on it. Now im really confused because I taught the inverses had something to do with it. What do you is the right approach or what would you do?

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4
    Hi Mark44
    How would you prove that the rank of the matrix would be zero because if I can do that then it would be proved wouldnt it??

6. Feb 8, 2010 #5

Mark44

OK, it went right past me that the matrix is n x n and you're trying to show that A^n = 0.
    I think you can assume that 2 <= N <= n. If N > n, then it might be possible that A^N = 0, but for a smaller exponent, n, A^n != 0. If it's not reasonable to make that assumption, you can at least break down the problem into two cases: 2 <= N <= n, and N > n.

The first case is pretty easy to prove. A^1 = whatever, A^2 = whatever, ..., A^N = 0, A^(N + 1) = A^N * A = 0*A = 0, and so on.

7. Feb 8, 2010 #6
    Hi Mark44

Thanks a million your a legend. I can now go to sleep tonight. Thanks again

8. Feb 8, 2010 #7

Mark44

You'll need to say it more elegantly than I did. I was just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook