1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix, Prove of matrix theorem

1. Oct 21, 2007 #1
    prove that if ABC are nonsingular matrices,
    A) (AB)[tex]^{T}[/tex] = B[tex]^{T}[/tex]A[tex]^{T}[/tex]
    B) (ABC)[tex]^{-1}[/tex] = C[tex]^{-1}[/tex]B[tex]^{-1}[/tex]A[tex]^{-1}[/tex]

I attempted to solve it by creating a random matrices by my self and solved it, however, my teacher demand an answer without "creating" a new matrices by our self...
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try considering the ijth element of the matrix. That is, for the first one, consider [itex](AB)^T_{ij}[/itex] and expand.
  4. Oct 21, 2007 #3
    o! i got the 1st question... Thx!
    is the 2nd ques also using the same method?

5. Oct 21, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand what your teacher was saying? If you "create a random matrix" and do the calculations for that matrix, then you have proved the statement is true for that matrix. You are asked to prove it is true for any matrix.
  6. Oct 21, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

For the 2nd one let D=(ABC)[tex]^{-1}[/tex] and then go from there
    mutilyply by ABC

then proceed to multiply by A[tex]^{-1}[/tex] and so forth

for the first one, I think you need to use the property that if A is a mxn matrix and B is a nxs matrix then AB is mxs matrix..then you need to say what kind of matrix would A[tex]^{T}[/tex] would be.(nxm)
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?