Matrix rep of operator acting on bras

In summary, the matrix representation of a linear operator on a ket is the same as the matrix representation of the operator on a bra vector in an orthonormal basis. If the basis isn't orthonormal, the matrix between w^\dagger and v will be the identity matrix, but if the basis is orthonormal, there will be a different matrix between w^\dagger and v.
dEdt
If A is a linear operator, and we have some ordered basis (but not necessarily orthonormal), then the element Aij of its matrix representation is just the ith component of A acting on the jth basis vector. We can also represent the action of A on a ket as the matrix product of A's matrix with the column matrix representing the ket.

We can also represent the action of A on a bra vector as matrix product of the row matrix of the bra with another matrix. If the basis was orthonormal, it would be the same matrix Aij as above. But if the basis isn't orthonormal, is it a different matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
dEdt said:
We can also represent the action of A on a bra vector as matrix product of the row matrix of the bra with another matrix. If the basis was orthonormal, it would be the same matrix Aij as above.
No, I think you want ##A^\dagger## here. Depends on exactly what you're trying to do.
But if the basis isn't orthonormal, is it a different matrix?
Here's a bit more detail...

In the finite dimensional case -- where the kets are just column vectors -- the bras are row vectors. So one can pass from a ket to its corresponding bra by the ordinary Hermitian conjugate operation from linear algebra (i.e., conjugate transpose). E.g., if we write a ket ##v## (a column vector), then the corresponding bra is ##v^\dagger## (a row vector). The usual QM inner product in the Hilbert space of such column vectors is just ##w^\dagger v## (where ##w## is another column vector). So if ##A## is a matrix acting on ##v##, i.e., ##v' = Av##, then ##(v')^\dagger = v^\dagger A^\dagger## .

Also, $$w^\dagger A v ~=~ (A^\dagger w)^\dagger v$$ .

HTH.

strangerep said:
No, I think you want ##A^\dagger## here. Depends on exactly what you're trying to do.

Maybe this'll be clearer: If [itex]\langle \psi |[/itex] is a bra vector and A a linear operator, the matrix representation of [itex]\langle \psi |A[/itex] in an orthonormal basis (basis vectors denoted by [itex]|i\rangle[/itex], with i acting as an index) will be the product of column vector with entries [itex]\langle \psi |i\rangle[/itex] with a square matrix with entries [itex]\langle j|A|i\rangle[/itex]. This is the same matrix that comes up when we consider the matrix representation of A on a ket ie [itex]A|\phi\rangle[/itex].

Now, the same general thing happens when we consider the matrix representation of [itex]\langle\psi |A[/itex] and [itex]A| \phi\rangle[/itex] in some arbitrary, not necessarily orthonormal, basis -- just with different elements in the matrices. My question is whether or not the square matrix that appears in [itex]\langle\psi |A[/itex] is the same as the square matrix that appears in [itex]A| \phi\rangle[/itex].

strangerep said:
The usual QM inner product in the Hilbert space of such column vectors is just ##w^\dagger v## (where ##w## is another column vector).

I don't think this is true. In general, there'll be a matrix between ##w^\dagger## and ##v##, which only becomes the identity matrix if the basis is orthonormal.

dEdt said:
Maybe this'll be clearer: If [itex]\langle \psi |[/itex] is a bra vector and A a linear operator, the matrix representation of [itex]\langle \psi |A[/itex] in an orthonormal basis (basis vectors denoted by [itex]|i\rangle[/itex], with i acting as an index) will be the product of column vector with entries [itex]\langle \psi |i\rangle[/itex] with a square matrix with entries [itex]\langle j|A|i\rangle[/itex]. This is the same matrix that comes up when we consider the matrix representation of A on a ket ie [itex]A|\phi\rangle[/itex].
I think you're getting mixed up between abstract bra-ket notation, and its concrete representation using vectors and matrices in the finite dimensional case.

In general, there'll be a matrix between ##w^\dagger## and ##v##, which only becomes the identity matrix if the basis is orthonormal.
No. My notation is basis-independent.

strangerep said:
I think you're getting mixed up between abstract bra-ket notation, and its concrete representation using vectors and matrices in the finite dimensional case.

What makes you say that?

strangerep said:
No. My notation is basis-independent.

I don't think so. According to wikipedia, "[t]he general form of an inner product on [itex]\mathbb{C}^n[/itex] is given by:
[tex]\langle \mathbf{x}, \mathbf{y}\rangle := \mathbf{y}^*\mathbf{M}\mathbf{x}[/tex]
where M is any Hermitian, positive definite matrix, and y* the conjugate transpose of y."

dEdt said:
According to wikipedia, "[t]he general form of an inner product on [itex]\mathbb{C}^n[/itex] is given by:
[tex]\langle \mathbf{x}, \mathbf{y}\rangle := \mathbf{y}^*\mathbf{M}\mathbf{x}[/tex]
where M is any Hermitian, positive definite matrix, and y* the conjugate transpose of y."
There are many different inner products that can be defined on [itex]\mathbb{C}^n[/itex]. This is distinct from the question of basis independence.

Sorry, I can't spare any more time to deconstruct and repair all these misunderstandings.
Maybe someone else can take over.

Look, if [itex]|i\rangle[/itex], i = 1 to N are basis vectors, then
[tex]\langle \phi|\psi\rangle = \sum_{i,j}\phi_i^* \psi_j \langle i|j \rangle[/tex].

If [itex]\langle i|j \rangle =\delta_{ij}[/itex], then

[tex]\langle \phi|\psi\rangle = \begin{pmatrix}
\phi_1^* \ ... \ \phi_N^* \\
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
\psi_1 \\
.\\
.\\
.\\
\psi_N \\
\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

But otherwise, there's going to be a Hermitian, positive definite matrix between the row and column vector.

The Hilbert space has a metric [itex]g_{ij}[/itex], such that [itex]g_{ij}\psi^i \phi^j [/itex] is the inner product. But it can just be handled by the actual inner product since linear functionals act on vectors, [itex]\bar{\psi}^{i}\phi_{i}[/itex]. See this thread for more info Hilbert Space Metric

Writing [$] for the coordinate representation of $ relative to whatever basis you've chosen, then you always have

[wv] = [w][v]
[Av] = [A][v]
[wA] = [w][A]​

where A is an operator, v is a ket, and w is a bra.

jfy4 said:
The Hilbert space has a metric [itex]g_{ij}[/itex], such that [itex]g_{ij}\psi^i \phi^j [/itex] is the inner product. But it can just be handled by the actual inner product since linear functionals act on vectors, [itex]\bar{\psi}^{i}\phi_{i}[/itex]. See this thread for more info Hilbert Space Metric

Unfortunately that thread was beyond my level, but I appreciate your help.

Hurkyl said:
Writing [$] for the coordinate representation of $ relative to whatever basis you've chosen, then you always have

[wv] = [w][v]
[Av] = [A][v]
[wA] = [w][A]​

where A is an operator, v is a ket, and w is a bra.

I don't see how this can be true. As I said above,
[tex]\langle \phi|\psi\rangle = \sum_{i,j}\phi_i^* \psi_j \langle i|j \rangle[/tex]
which is not equal to [w][v].

dEdt said:
I don't see how this can be true. As I said above,
[tex]\langle \phi|\psi\rangle = \sum_{i,j}\phi_i^* \psi_j \langle i|j \rangle[/tex]
which is not equal to [w][v].
Why do you think it's not equal?What you're overlooking, presumably, is that [itex][v^\dagger] = [v]^*[/itex] is not guaranteed. In fact, this is an identity if and only if your chosen basis is orthonormal.

Hurkyl said:
Why do you think it's not equal?

What you're overlooking, presumably, is that [itex][v^\dagger] = [v]^*[/itex] is not guaranteed. In fact, this is an identity if and only if your chosen basis is orthonormal.

But I think it can be proven that ##[v^\dagger]=[v]^*## in any basis.

Let [itex]{|i\rangle}, \ i=1,...,N[/itex] be our basis. [itex]|v\rangle = \sum_i v_i|i\rangle[/itex] and [itex](|v\rangle)^\dagger=\langle v|=\sum_i v_i^\dagger\langle i|[/itex]. Then
[tex]\langle v|w\rangle=\sum_i v_i^\dagger\langle i|w\rangle.[/tex]
But
[tex]\langle v|w\rangle=\left(\langle w|v\rangle\right)^*=\left(\sum_i \langle w|i\rangle v_i\right)^*=\sum_i \langle w|i\rangle^* v_i^*=\sum_i v_i^*\langle i|w\rangle.[/tex]
Therefore [itex]v_i^\dagger =v_i^*[/itex].

The coordinate representation of a bra is not relative to the basis [itex]\langle i | [/itex]. I was in a hurry previously so I didn't have time to figure out what you were doing and that this was the point of confusion.

If [itex]| i \rangle[/itex] is a basis for the vector space of kets, then there is a dual basis [itex]\langle \omega_i | [/itex] for the vector space of bras. The dual basis is defined by the equation

[tex]\langle \omega_i | j \rangle = \delta_{ij}[/tex]

The components of the row vector that is the coordinate representation of a bra are the coordinates relative to the dual basis [itex]\langle \omega_i |[/itex]... not relative to the adjoint basis* [itex]\langle i |[/itex]. The dual and adjoint bases are the same if and only if the original basis is orthonormal.

*: I do not know of a standard terminology for this notion

Of particular note is that the multiplication of a bra and a ket is an intrinsic property of vectors and dual vectors, and has absolutely nothing to do with a notion of inner product.

The inner product is a function of two kets. It is used to define a map that converts kets into bras. In the situation at hand, the place the inner product appears is not as the product [itex]\langle i|[/itex] with [itex]| j \rangle[/itex] -- instead, the place the inner product appears is as the definition of [itex]\langle i|[/itex].

Ok I understand now, thanks.

Final question: if the basis is not orthonormal, is ##[A^\dagger]=[A]^*## still true?

dEdt said:
Final question: if the basis is not orthonormal, is ##[A^\dagger]=[A]^*## still true?

I highly doubt it.

Related to Matrix rep of operator acting on bras

1. What does the "matrix rep of operator acting on bras" mean?

The "matrix rep of operator acting on bras" refers to the representation of a linear operator on a vector space in terms of a matrix acting on the dual space of that vector space, known as bras. The matrix rep is a useful tool for performing calculations and understanding the effects of the operator on the vectors in the vector space.

2. How is the matrix rep of an operator calculated?

The matrix rep of an operator is calculated by first choosing a basis for the vector space and its dual space. The operator is then applied to each basis vector in the dual space, and the resulting vectors are represented as column vectors. These column vectors become the columns of the matrix representation of the operator.

3. What is the significance of the matrix rep of an operator?

The matrix rep of an operator provides a way to represent abstract linear transformations in a concrete, computable form. It allows for easy computation of the effects of the operator on vectors, as well as providing a visual representation of the operator's action on the vector space.

4. Can the matrix rep of an operator be used for any vector space?

Yes, the matrix rep can be used for any finite-dimensional vector space. However, for infinite-dimensional vector spaces, such as function spaces, the matrix rep is not applicable, and other methods must be used.

5. How does the matrix rep of an operator relate to the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator?

The matrix rep of an operator is closely related to its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The eigenvalues of the operator are the same as the eigenvalues of the matrix representation, and the eigenvectors of the operator can be found by solving the corresponding eigenvector equation for the matrix rep.