Matrix Rings - Basic Problem with Meaning of Notation .... Rowen, Section 1.1 ....

In summary, Rowen's book, Ring Theory, discusses matrix rings and idempotents. He provides a notation for these concepts, and explains the rule for computing r^{(1)}_{ij}e_{ij}r^{(2)}_{uv}e_{uv} when multiplying two matrices.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Louis Rowen's book, "Ring Theory"(Student Edition) ...

I have a problem interpreting Rowen's notation in Section 1.1 Matrix Rings and Idempotents ...

The relevant section of Rowen's text reads as follows:View attachment 6069
View attachment 6070In the above text from Rowen, we read the following:
" ... ... We obtain a more explicit notation by defining the \(\displaystyle n \times n\) matric unit \(\displaystyle e_{ij}\) to be the matrix whose \(\displaystyle i-j\) entry is \(\displaystyle 1\), with all other entries \(\displaystyle 0\).Thus \(\displaystyle ( r_{ij} ) = \sum_{i,j =1}^n r_{ij} e_{ij}\) ; addition is componentwise and multiplication is given according to the rule \(\displaystyle ( r_1 e_{ij} ) ( r_2 e_{uv} ) = \delta_{ju} (r_1 r_2) e_{iv} \)

... ... ...

I am having trouble understanding the rule \(\displaystyle ( r_1 e_{ij} ) ( r_2 e_{uv} ) = \delta_{ju} (r_1 r_2) e_{iv}\) ... ...

What are \(\displaystyle r_1\) and \(\displaystyle r_2\) ... where exactly do they come from ... ?

Can someone please explain the rule to me ...?To take a specific example ... suppose we are dealing with \(\displaystyle M_2 ( \mathbb{Z} )\) and we have two matrices ...\(\displaystyle P = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 3 \\ 5 & 4 \end{pmatrix}\)

and

\(\displaystyle Q = \begin{pmatrix} 2 & 1 \\ 3 & 3 \end{pmatrix}\) ...In this specific case, what are \(\displaystyle r_1\) and \(\displaystyle r_2\) ... ... and how would the rule in question work ...?
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am having trouble understanding the rule \(\displaystyle ( r_1 e_{ij} ) ( r_2 e_{uv} ) = \delta_{ju} (r_1 r_2) e_{iv}\) ... ...

What are \(\displaystyle r_1\) and \(\displaystyle r_2\) ... where exactly do they come from ... ?
$r_1$ and $r_2$ are numbers, or, more precisely, elements of the ring $R$. They are also coefficients, or coordinates, of a matrix in the basis consisting of $e_{ij}$. If one matrix is $\displaystyle\sum_{i,j=1}^nr^{(1)}_{ij}e_{ij}$ and another is $\displaystyle\sum_{i,j=1}^nr^{(2)}_{ij}e_{ij}$, then when you multiply them, you apply distributivity and get $\displaystyle\sum_{i,j,u,v=1}^nr^{(1)}_{ij}e_{ij}r^{(2)}_{uv}e_{uv}$, and the formula in your quote says how to compute $r^{(1)}_{ij}e_{ij}r^{(2)}_{uv}e_{uv}$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
$r_1$ and $r_2$ are numbers, or, more precisely, elements of the ring $R$. They are also coefficients, or coordinates, of a matrix in the basis consisting of $e_{ij}$. If one matrix is $\displaystyle\sum_{i,j=1}^nr^{(1)}_{ij}e_{ij}$ and another is $\displaystyle\sum_{i,j=1}^nr^{(2)}_{ij}e_{ij}$, then when you multiply them, you apply distributivity and get $\displaystyle\sum_{i,j,u,v=1}^nr^{(1)}_{ij}e_{ij}r^{(2)}_{uv}e_{uv}$, and the formula in your quote says how to compute $r^{(1)}_{ij}e_{ij}r^{(2)}_{uv}e_{uv}$.
Thanks Evgeny ... your post was very clear ... and most helpfu ...

Peter

1. What is a matrix ring?

A matrix ring is a set of square matrices with entries from a specific field, along with operations of addition and multiplication defined on them. These operations must follow certain rules, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity, in order for the set to be considered a ring.

2. What is the significance of the notation used in Rowen's text?

The notation used in Rowen's text is meant to be consistent and concise, allowing for a more organized and efficient presentation of the material. It also follows established conventions in the field of abstract algebra, making it easier for readers to understand and apply the concepts being discussed.

3. What is the basic problem discussed in Section 1.1 of Rowen's text?

The basic problem discussed in Section 1.1 is the concept of a "ring without identity," which refers to a set with operations of addition and multiplication that satisfy the necessary axioms, but do not have a multiplicative identity element. This can cause confusion and complications in certain cases, such as when trying to determine the units of the ring.

4. How does Rowen define a matrix ring?

Rowen defines a matrix ring as a set of square matrices with entries from a specific field, along with operations of addition and multiplication defined on them. These operations must follow certain rules, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity, in order for the set to be considered a ring. Additionally, the set must contain an identity element with respect to multiplication.

5. What is the purpose of studying matrix rings?

The study of matrix rings is important in mathematics and various other fields such as physics and engineering. Matrix rings have numerous applications, such as in linear algebra, coding theory, and cryptography. Understanding the properties and structures of matrix rings can also help in solving complex problems and developing new theories and techniques in these fields.