Matter Wave Analogies: Exploring Electron Band Gaps

In summary, matter waves are a concept that explains the wave-like behavior of particles such as electrons and protons, with their momentum being related to their wavelength through the de Broglie equation. Photonic crystals, on the other hand, affect the motion of photons in a similar way that semiconductor crystals affect the motion of electrons. By considering the frequencies of electromagnetic waves in a photonic crystal lattice, it is possible to create graphs showing electronic band gaps. This can be analogous to the photonic band gaps in a photonic crystal. However, electron diffraction experiments may be a more straightforward example of matter waves.
jbox23
I understand the concept of matter waves. Light has wave-particle duality; it has both wave-like (electromagnetic wave) and particle-like (photons) properties. Similarly, according to de Broglie, all particles (electrons, protons, etc.) have a wave-like property, with their momentum (where momentum = mass x velocity) related to their de Broglie wavelength through the equation:

[itex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/itex]

Photonic crystals affect the motion of electrons. Electromagnetic waves can be propagated through a photonic crystal lattice structure, and through considering the frequencies of these electomagnetic waves at points within the Brillouin zone, it is possible to compose graphs showing the respective electronic band gaps.

What I don't get is how photonic crystals are analogous for matter waves? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
jbox23 said:
I understand the concept of matter waves. Light has wave-particle duality; it has both wave-like (electromagnetic wave) and particle-like (photons) properties. Similarly, according to de Broglie, all particles (electrons, protons, etc.) have a wave-like property, with their momentum (where momentum = mass x velocity) related to their de Broglie wavelength through the equation:

[itex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/itex]

Photonic crystals affect the motion of electrons. Electromagnetic waves can be propagated through a photonic crystal lattice structure, and through considering the frequencies of these electomagnetic waves at points within the Brillouin zone, it is possible to compose graphs showing the respective electronic band gaps.

What I don't get is how photonic crystals are analogous for matter waves? :confused:

This post is very confusing.

Where do you get the idea that photonic crystals are analogous for matter waves?

Photonic crystals affect the "motion" of photons! That's why they are call photonic crystals, rather than electronic crystals. Photonic crystals have photonic band gaps, as opposed to electronic band gaps.

I do not see the connection with "matter waves".

Zz.

It is possible to consider two-dimensional photonic crystals in the microwave regime as analogies for matter waves.

I am aware that photonic crystals affect the motion of photons in a similar way that semiconductor crystals affect the motion of electrons. Photons (behaving as waves) either do or do not propagate through the photonic crystal structure depending on their wavelength. Wavelengths of light that are allowed to travel are known as modes, and groups of allowed modes form bands, and disallowed bands of wavelengths are photonic band gaps. Similarly the periodic potential in a semiconductor crystal affects electron motion by defining allowed and forbidden electronic energy bands.

So I guess the two things are analogous through the comparisons that can be made between photonic band gaps and electronic band gaps, but I'm not sure.

I'm sorry, but why are you going through all this convoluted example just to simply find an analogous scenario to demonstrate matter waves? What about simply use an electron diffraction experiment as a much more transparent example of matter waves?

Zz.

I'd just like to know and understand how to relate these two things (photonic crystals & matter waves)

1. What are matter wave analogies?

Matter wave analogies refer to the concept of treating particles, such as electrons, as waves in order to better understand their behavior and properties.

2. How are matter wave analogies used in exploring electron band gaps?

By treating electrons as waves, scientists can use mathematical models, such as the Schrödinger equation, to study and predict the formation of electron band gaps in materials.

3. What is an electron band gap?

An electron band gap is an energy range in which no electron states can exist in a material. This gap separates the valence band, where electrons are bound to atoms, from the conduction band, where electrons have enough energy to move freely.

4. How do matter wave analogies help us understand the properties of materials?

By studying electron behavior as waves, scientists can gain insight into the physical properties of materials, such as their conductivity, magnetism, and optical properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding electron band gaps?

Understanding electron band gaps is crucial in the development of new materials for various technologies, such as semiconductors for electronics, solar cells for renewable energy, and superconductors for efficient energy transmission.