Mawell equations with monopoles

• Thread starter nos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential existence of magnetic monopoles and the implications it would have on solving Maxwell's equations. The suggested solution involves separately solving for the electric and magnetic fields generated by electric charges and magnetic charges, and then combining them to get a more general solution. The conversation also mentions the use of point charges and references a similar concept seen in a college physics textbook. One participant expresses interest in solving for the fields in terms of charge, position, velocity, and acceleration.
nos
Hi all,

Suppose magnetic monopoles exist, how would the maxwell equations be solved?
Because the divergence of B is no longer zero, we can not use the vector potential, can we? Do you just solve for the electric and manetic field for electric charges and magnetic charges seperately and then add them together to get the total fields? How would one approach this?

I guess the answer would be:
E= electric field generated by magnetic charge + electric field generated by electric charge
B= magnetic field generated by electric charge + magnetic field generated by magnetic charge.
This would then be a more general solution. You can still get the old fields by setting the magnetic charge equal to zero.
I would like to do this a an exercise for myself, except Idont know where to begin.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am referring tot point charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopole#Maxwell.27s_equations

I remember seeing something similar to these "extended Maxwell's equations" in Halliday & Resnick's "Fundamentals of Physics" when I was a college freshman many years ago. Probably the only difference was in the units (SI versus cgs).

Oh thans you, but I am interested in solving them tot get the Electric and magnetic field in terms of q(e) and q(m) and position, velocity and acceleration. I guess for each field you het two terms: because now both electric charge and magnetic charge create electric field and magnetic field.

I am unable to provide a definitive answer as to how the Maxwell equations would be solved if magnetic monopoles exist. The existence of magnetic monopoles is still a topic of ongoing research and there is currently no experimental evidence to support their existence.

However, if we were to assume that magnetic monopoles do exist, then your approach of adding the fields generated by electric and magnetic charges separately would be a valid solution. This is because the Maxwell equations are based on the principle of superposition, which states that the total field at any point is equal to the vector sum of the individual fields generated by each charge.

Additionally, it is important to note that the Maxwell equations are not the only set of equations used to describe electromagnetic phenomena. There are other theories, such as the Yang-Mills theory, that can accommodate the existence of magnetic monopoles. Further research and experimentation would be needed to fully understand the implications of magnetic monopoles on our current understanding of electromagnetism.

If you are interested in exploring this topic further, I suggest studying the properties and behavior of magnetic monopoles and their potential effects on the Maxwell equations. You could also look into the work of researchers who are actively studying this topic and see if there are any experimental or theoretical approaches that have been proposed. Good luck with your exploration!

What are Maxwell equations with monopoles?

Maxwell equations with monopoles are a modified version of Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism. They include an additional term to account for the existence of magnetic monopoles, which are hypothetical particles that act as a single magnetic charge, similar to how protons and electrons act as single electric charges.

What is the significance of magnetic monopoles in Maxwell equations?

The inclusion of magnetic monopoles in Maxwell equations is significant because it provides a more complete and symmetric description of the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. It also helps to unify the theories of electricity and magnetism, which were previously described separately.

Do magnetic monopoles exist in nature?

Although there is currently no conclusive evidence for the existence of magnetic monopoles, they are predicted by various theories, such as grand unified theories and string theory. Some experiments have also shown possible indications of their existence, but further research is needed to confirm their existence.

How are Maxwell equations with monopoles used in practical applications?

Maxwell equations with monopoles are mainly used in theoretical and experimental research to further understand the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. They have also been applied in areas such as particle physics and cosmology, where the existence of magnetic monopoles could have significant implications.

Can Maxwell equations with monopoles be simplified?

Yes, Maxwell equations with monopoles can be simplified in certain cases, such as in the absence of monopoles or in scenarios where the effects of monopoles can be neglected. In these cases, the equations reduce to the standard Maxwell's equations. However, in cases where monopoles are present, the additional term cannot be simplified and must be included in the equations.