• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Max. speed you can drive on a circular hill an still be in Uniform Circular Motion

• Thread starter Unix
  • Start date
Max. speed you can drive on a circular hill an still be in "Uniform Circular Motion"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The top of a hill is in the shape of a circle of radius 25 meters.

2. Relevant equations

a) What is the normal force that the road exerts on an 1800kg car as it tops the hill with a speed of 8.0 m/s?

b) At what speed would the driver experience a moment of weightlessness as they top the hill?

3. The attempt at a solution

My question isn't about performing calculations, I just wanted to make sure I am understanding the concept.

In part b, if the driver is experiencing weightlessness, is it correct to say that the car has exceeded the maximum speed that you can have on the hill and still be in "Uniform Circular Motion"? If that's the case then there is no normal force on the car at that point?

rock.freak667

Homework Helper
Re: Max. speed you can drive on a circular hill an still be in "Uniform Circular Moti

In part b, if the driver is experiencing weightlessness, is it correct to say that the car has exceeded the maximum speed that you can have on the hill and still be in "Uniform Circular Motion"? If that's the case then there is no normal force on the car at that point?
Yes that is correct. During normal circular motion, the normal force would be the force that the driver experiences, so if he is weightless then the normal force is zero.

PeterO

Homework Helper
Re: Max. speed you can drive on a circular hill an still be in "Uniform Circular Moti

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The top of a hill is in the shape of a circle of radius 25 meters.

2. Relevant equations

a) What is the normal force that the road exerts on an 1800kg car as it tops the hill with a speed of 8.0 m/s?

b) At what speed would the driver experience a moment of weightlessness as they top the hill?

3. The attempt at a solution

My question isn't about performing calculations, I just wanted to make sure I am understanding the concept.

DOn't forget that when you have calculated a speed for part (b), you answer is likely to be "At least a speed of .... "

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads