1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Max. speed you can drive on a circular hill an still be in Uniform Circular Motion

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    Max. speed you can drive on a circular hill an still be in "Uniform Circular Motion"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The top of a hill is in the shape of a circle of radius 25 meters.

2. Relevant equations

a) What is the normal force that the road exerts on an 1800kg car as it tops the hill with a speed of 8.0 m/s?

b) At what speed would the driver experience a moment of weightlessness as they top the hill?

3. The attempt at a solution

My question isn't about performing calculations, I just wanted to make sure I am understanding the concept.

In part b, if the driver is experiencing weightlessness, is it correct to say that the car has exceeded the maximum speed that you can have on the hill and still be in "Uniform Circular Motion"? If that's the case then there is no normal force on the car at that point?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: Max. speed you can drive on a circular hill an still be in "Uniform Circular Moti

Yes that is correct. During normal circular motion, the normal force would be the force that the driver experiences, so if he is weightless then the normal force is zero.

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

Re: Max. speed you can drive on a circular hill an still be in "Uniform Circular Moti

DOn't forget that when you have calculated a speed for part (b), you answer is likely to be "At least a speed of .... "

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook