Max String Frequency: Answers to Beginner Questions

In summary, the frequencies that can propagate along a string in M theory may be confined to a certain range based on the dimensions it is residing in. The relationship between dimensions and allowed frequency is not fully understood. A string/brane at zero frequency may be considered at rest, and the energy of a zero-frequency string is dependent on the work it took to displace it from equilibrium.
philiprdutton
If a string is a certain length then is there a max frequency? Is there a min frequency? These are beginner questions but answers would be appreciated. Also, if a string has zero frequency is it at rest? What would zero-frequency string mean in terms of energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no lower limit on the frequencies that can propagate along a string. Strings of a finite length possesses a minimum resonance frequency, but this does not prevent lower frequencies from propagating along the length of a string. There is potentially an upper limit based on the material properties of the string - such as how much strain the string can take before breaking.

The zero frequency component is sometimes called the DC component, it is simply a constant displacement from equilibrium.

A string that has a frequency component at zero and only at zero will be at rest.

The energy is such a frequency component depends on how much work it took to displace the string from equilibrium in the first place.

Claude.

Last edited:
movement

Claude Bile said:
There is no lower limit on the frequencies that can propagate along a string. Strings of a finite length possesses a minimum resonance frequency, but this does not prevent lower frequencies from propagating along the length of a string. There is potentially an upper limit based on the material properties of the string - such as how much strain the string can take before breaking.

The zero frequency component is sometimes called the DC component, it is simply a constant displacement from equilibrium.

A string that has a frequency component at zero and only at zero will be at rest.

The energy is such a frequency component depends on how much work it took to displace the string from equilibrium in the first place.

Claude.

Thanks for your information! I shall have another question if you do not mind. Assume we have a large string about the size of our Earth's moon. Assume it is not moving in the traditional 3 dimensions. Let's us say that the string is vibrating with some particular frequency. How can it it vibrate and not move in 3D space? Within string theory, might one consider vibrational frequencies as something that might trigger movement if the string is large enough to exist in 3D space?

Philip, if your are referring to String Theory, it really has nothing to do with physical strings as you first asked about.
I would expand upon Claude's response only to point out that no vibration of any sort can exceed the speed of sound in the string, regardless of the structural integrity.

vibrations

Danger said:
Philip, if your are referring to String Theory, it really has nothing to do with physical strings as you first asked about.
I would expand upon Claude's response only to point out that no vibration of any sort can exceed the speed of sound in the string, regardless of the structural integrity.

Sure I understand that we are not talking about 3D strings. I was perhaps incorrectly using the word vibration. I really am talking about the 1D loops of string theory which undulate with some particular frequency. I thought that one particular version of string theory might suggest that something as "big" as a back hole could actually be a fundamental particle. In such talk, is a fundamental particle a string theory style string or is an elementary particle just something that happens to be composed of lots of string theory strings?

That is far beyond my area of knowledge. Your best bet would be to contact the Cosmology or Theoretical Physics experts.

sorry

Danger said:
That is far beyond my area of knowledge. Your best bet would be to contact the Cosmology or Theoretical Physics experts.

Darn. I thought I posted this in String theory discussion area. Sorry.

No need to apologize. Just PM one of the Mentors, and s/he can move this to the appropriate forum. :smile:

Since the OP wants to discuss string theory, I've moved this to the "Beyond the Standard Model" forum.

Actually, as far as I have read, the OP has no idea on what "String Theory" is. All the questions so far has been about ordinary vibrating strings in various dimensions from 1 to 3D. This is not THE String Theory. So this thread doesn't belong here.

Zz.

thanks for moving this

ZapperZ said:
Actually, as far as I have read, the OP has no idea on what "String Theory" is. All the questions so far has been about ordinary vibrating strings in various dimensions from 1 to 3D. This is not THE String Theory. So this thread doesn't belong here.

Zz.

Thank you for moving this thread for me. I realized I placed it in the "CLASSICAL BORING PHYSICS" topic area by accident.

philiprdutton said:
Thank you for moving this thread for me. I realized I placed it in the "CLASSICAL BORING PHYSICS" topic area by accident.

I didn't move it. In fact, if you read my post, I am suggesting that it be moved out of the BTSM forum, since none of what your asking is beyond the ordinary vibration theory, which belongs in the classical physics forum.

Zz.

changed

philiprdutton said:
If a string is a certain length then is there a max frequency? Is there a min frequency? These are beginner questions but answers would be appreciated. Also, if a string has zero frequency is it at rest? What would zero-frequency string mean in terms of energy?

Sorry, I will correct and restate the OP's question:

"In M theory, is a 'string' confined to a sub-range of frequencies which might be determined by which dimensions it happens to be residing in? What is the relationship between dimensions (their properties) and allowed frequency? Also, if a string/brane has zero frequency is this called rest? What would zero-frequency string mean in terms of energy?"

1. What is "Max String Frequency"?

"Max String Frequency" refers to the maximum number of times a particular string or sequence of characters appears in a given dataset or text. It is often used in data analysis and can provide valuable insights into the patterns and trends within the data.

2. How is "Max String Frequency" calculated?

The calculation of "Max String Frequency" involves counting the number of occurrences of a specific string or sequence of characters within a dataset and identifying the highest count. This can be done manually or with the help of programming languages and tools such as Python or Excel.

3. Why is "Max String Frequency" important?

"Max String Frequency" is important because it can help identify the most frequently used words, phrases, or patterns in a dataset. This information can be useful in various fields such as marketing, linguistics, and data analysis, as it can provide insights into the behavior and preferences of individuals or groups.

4. How can "Max String Frequency" be used in real-life applications?

"Max String Frequency" can be used in a variety of real-life applications, such as social media analysis, market research, and language processing. For example, in social media analysis, it can help identify popular hashtags or topics, while in market research, it can provide insights into consumer preferences and trends.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Max String Frequency"?

Yes, there are some limitations to using "Max String Frequency". It only provides information on the most commonly used strings or sequences and may not capture the full range of data. Additionally, it may not be as useful for smaller datasets or for datasets with a wide variety of strings and sequences.