Max Velocity of Wedge: When Block Reaches Height h

In summary: I don't know, I think we might be talking about the same moment. It's unclear to me. The same moment I was talking about in my previous post.In summary, the problem involves a wedge of mass M on a smooth surface with a block of mass m sliding in its depression. The surface of contact between the wedge and block is also smooth. There is a wall to the left of the wedge, and the question is at which instant will the velocity of the wedge be maximum. Using the conservation of energy, it can be shown that the maximum velocity of the wedge occurs when the block is at its lowest point in the depression, with the wedge moving to the right and the block moving to the left. This can
haruspex said:
But it will not be quite as much as when the block is at the mid point.
Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
Why?
Because as long as the block is not exactly at the mid point the normal force will have a horizontal component, accelerating the wedge.

haruspex said:
Because as long as the block is not exactly at the mid point the normal force will have a horizontal component, accelerating the wedge.
That's why I have used the term just before coming at mid point.So that there will not be any horizontal force after that.

It
gracy said:
That's why I have used the term just before coming at mid point.So that there will not be any horizontal force after that.
It's either at the mid point or it isn't. If it's not at the midpoint then there is a horizontal force, no matter how small.