1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimization largest possible volume problem

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A right circular cylinder is inscribed in a cone with height h and base radius r. Find the largest possible volume of such a cylinder.

Volume of a cylinder = (pi)(r^2)h
    Volume of a cone = (1/3)(pi)(r^2)h

2. Relevant equations
    Volume of a cylinder = (pi)(r^2)h
    Volume of a cone = (1/3)(pi)(r^2)h

3. The attempt at a solution
    Technically this is my roommate's problem, he is in Calc1. He has been having some problems with this one, and I'm in Differential Equations, and I can't remember how to really do this one. I know you want to find the derivative of the cylinder, and find when it is equal to zero, but I am stumped on how to approach the problem

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

solve for the height of the cylinder in terms of its radius then look at optimisation through substitution or lagrange multipliers

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    I know that, but how? Would you use similar triangles or something like that?

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

you could do that...

draw a vertical slice of the cone thorough its centre. The cone appears as an isoceles triangle, whilst the cylinder is a rectangle inscribed in the triangle. Use some trig to derive the relation between cylinder height & base

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook