1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Largest possible volume of a cylinder inscribed in a cone

1. Dec 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A right circular cylinder is inscribed in a cone with height h and base radius r. Find the largest possible volume of such a cylinder.

I'm just really confused on how to figure this one out. The equation for the volume of a cone is v = 1/3pi r^2h and the volume of a cylinder is v = pi r^2h. I just don't know how to use these two formuals in order to find a solution. Please help me. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Optimization

Draw a picture. Draw a coordinate system so and two lines, one through (r, 0) and (0, h) and the other through (-r, 0) and (0, h). That represents your cone. What are the equations of the lines? A cylinder inside the cone is represented by a rectangle in your picture. What are the dimensions of that cylinder?

4. Dec 4, 2008 #3

The problem didn't state any dimesions or equations for the cylinder or cone.

5. Dec 5, 2008 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From your first post:
    r and h are the dimensions of the cone. Follow Halls's suggestion to draw a picture and label the important points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?