Optimization Problem Maximum Volume

In summary: You are still assuming that the maximum volume is achieved when the derivative is 0. As I said, you need to show that the derivative is 0 for a local maximum. It is not enough to show that the derivative is 0 when the volume is 0. You have to show that the derivative is 0 only at points where the volume is a maximum.
Plutonium88

Homework Statement

a cylinder can be inscribed upright in a circular cone with radius 4 and height 7. What is the maximum volume of a cylinder that can be inscribed inside of the cone.

Homework Equations

Image of the problem

http://s17.postimage.org/67akeibxb/Cylinder.png

The Attempt at a Solution

let rc = radius of the cone Let rt=radius of cylinder

Let hc=height of cone let ht= height of cyldiner

ht/hc = (4-rt)/rc

ht/7=(4-rt)/4
ht=7-7/4(rt)

D: 0<r<4

Vt=Volume of cylinder
Vt=Pi(rt)^2(ht)
vt=pi(rt)^2(7-7/4(rt))

vt=7pi(rt)^2 - 7/4(pi)(rt)^3

vt'=14pi(rt) - 21/4(pi)(rt)^2

vt'=0

0 =14pi(rt) - 21/4(pi)(rt)^2
0=7pi(rt)[2-3/4rt]

r=0, not true
0 = 2-3/4rt
-2 = -3/4rt
rt=8/3=2.67v'(2.5)= + numbrer
v'(2.7)= - number

therefore there is a maximum value

there fore rt=2.67 is the value which will achieve maximum volume.

h=7-7/4rt
h=2.33

vt=Pi(rt)^2h
vt=52.18m^3

Therefore maximum volume of a cylinder that can be inscribed in a cone is 52.18 m^2Okay i think i have this correct, I'm just worried i messed up my numbers and i was wondering if some one could help me out.. I've doouble and triple checked it myself... Also can anyone tell me if I'm missing any information that would be valuable?>

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Plutonium88 said:

Homework Statement

a cylinder can be inscribed upright in a circular cone with radius 4 and height 7.

Sure it can. So what? Is there a question here?

Homework Equations

Image of the problem

http://s17.postimage.org/67akeibxb/Cylinder.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution to what?

let rc = radius of the cone Let rt=radius of cylinder

Let hc=height of cone let ht= height of cyldiner

ht/hc = (4-rt)/rc

ht/7=(4-rt)/4
ht=7-7/4(rt)

D: 0<r<4

Vt=Volume of cylinder
Vt=Pi(rt)^2(ht)
vt=pi(rt)^2(7-7/4(rt))

vt=7pi(rt)^2 - 7/4(pi)(rt)^3

vt'=14pi(rt) - 21/4(pi)(rt)^2

vt'=0

0 =14pi(rt) - 21/4(pi)(rt)^2
0=7pi(rt)[2-3/4rt]

r=0, not true
0 = 2-3/4rt
-2 = -3/4rt
rt=8/3=2.67

v'(2.5)= + numbrer
v'(2.7)= - number

therefore there is a maximum value

there fore rt=2.67 is the value which will achieve maximum volume.

h=7-7/4rt
h=2.33

vt=Pi(rt)^2h
vt=52.18m^3

Therefore maximum volume of a cylinder that can be inscribed in a cone is 52.18 m^2

Okay i think i have this correct, I'm just worried i messed up my numbers and i was wondering if some one could help me out.. I've doouble and triple checked it myself... Also can anyone tell me if I'm missing any information that would be valuable?>

Your work for what I suppose the problem was looks OK. But if you are going to hand it in for grading you best explain why you know the end points r = 0 and r = 4 don't give the maximum. Also there is no reason to use decimal approximations anywhere in this problem. Use exact fractions.

LCKurtz said:
Sure it can. So what? Is there a question here?

Solution to what?

Your work for what I suppose the problem was looks OK. But if you are going to hand it in for grading you best explain why you know the end points r = 0 and r = 4 don't give the maximum. Also there is no reason to use decimal approximations anywhere in this problem. Use exact fractions.

Ugh, i can't believe i forgot to put what it was asking for, i re edited it in the original post.

And I believe the reason they cannot be a maximum is the radius cannot be zero, because then it wouldn't be a cylinder, and the radius can't be 4 because it cannot be greater or equal to the radius of the cone¿

Well, in the cases r= 0 and r= 4, we could think of the figure as a "degenerate" cylinder. I would NOT say 'the radius cannoot be greater than or equal to the radius of the cone." Clearly it cannot be greater because the cylnder must be in the cone but you would need to show that it cannot be equal. And, again, it can be if you accept "degenerate" cylinders with volume 0. More to the point here, 0 cannot be the MAXIMUM volume because it is easy to see that there are cylinders of positive volume in the cone.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, in the cases r= 0 and r= 4, we could think of the figure as a "degenerate" cylinder. I would NOT say 'the radius cannoot be greater than or equal to the radius of the cone." Clearly it cannot be greater because the cylnder must be in the cone but you would need to show that it cannot be equal.
Why is simply not rationalizing that the cylinder would not fit in the cone properly if it's radius was greater than that of the cone, and How can this be shown?

HallsofIvy said:
And, again, it can be if you accept "degenerate" cylinders with volume 0. More to the point here, 0 cannot be the MAXIMUM volume because it is easy to see that there are cylinders of positive volume in the cone.

So in this case can i say it cannot be <0 because the degenerate case is not accepeted therefore we must have a cone with positive volume to have a max volume?

I said nothing about '< 0' nor did I say that degenerate cases could not be accepted. I only said that 0 cannot be a maximum because it is smaller than the positive values.

HallsofIvy said:
I said nothing about '< 0' nor did I say that degenerate cases could not be accepted. I only said that 0 cannot be a maximum because it is smaller than the positive values.

Okay, and in regard to the cone's radius of 4, what is the way to prove this in math?
Here is my idea...

v(4)= 0

Therefore since the volume is 0, and all positive volumes are greater than this.

If you take any number greater than r=4 your volume will be negative(Ie:v(4.1), and this does not comply with what you said earlier about the fact that the cylinder has (edit)***POSITIVE VOLUMES IN THE CONE**** in this case.

So therefore the the radius must be between 0<r<4

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the best solution from a set of possible options. The goal is to maximize or minimize a specific objective function while satisfying a set of constraints.

2. What is the maximum volume optimization problem?

The maximum volume optimization problem is a specific type of optimization problem where the objective is to find the maximum volume of a given object, subject to certain constraints. This problem is often encountered in engineering and manufacturing fields when designing objects with a fixed surface area, such as a box or container.

3. What are the key steps in solving a maximum volume optimization problem?

The key steps in solving a maximum volume optimization problem are:

1. Defining the objective function: In this case, it would be the volume of the object.
  2. Identifying the constraints: These are the limitations or restrictions on the variables in the problem, such as the fixed surface area in the case of maximum volume.
  3. Formulating the problem mathematically: This involves writing the objective function and constraints in mathematical equations or inequalities.
  4. Solving the mathematical problem: This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as calculus, linear programming, or graphical methods.
  5. Interpreting the results: The solution to the problem will provide the maximum volume and the corresponding values of the variables.

4. What are some real-life applications of the maximum volume optimization problem?

The maximum volume optimization problem has many real-life applications, including:

1. Designing containers and boxes: Companies use this problem to design containers with maximum storage capacity while minimizing material costs.
  2. Manufacturing processes: In manufacturing, the maximum volume problem is used to optimize the usage of materials and resources.
  3. Transportation and logistics: The problem is used to determine the maximum cargo capacity of vehicles, such as trucks and ships.
  4. Architecture and construction: Architects and engineers use this problem to design buildings with maximum usable space.

5. What are some challenges in solving the maximum volume optimization problem?

Some of the challenges in solving the maximum volume optimization problem include:

1. Complexity: The problem can become quite complex, especially when there are multiple variables and constraints involved.
  2. Non-linearities: The objective function or constraints may involve non-linear equations, making it difficult to find an analytical solution.
  3. Trade-offs: In some cases, there may be trade-offs between the volume and other factors, such as cost or weight.
  4. Real-world limitations: The problem may have real-world limitations, such as manufacturing constraints or market demand, which must be considered in the solution.