Maxima and Minima of a function of several variables

In summary, finding the maxima and minima of the function f(x,y)=(1/2)*x^2 + g(y) in the region Ω={(x,y)∈ℝ2 / (1/2)*x^2 + y^2 ≤ 1 } requires finding the critical points of g(y) which is a subset of ℝ. The absolute min of f in Ω is 0 and the absolute max is 1. A possible approach is to use the parameterization of the region, √2 *cosθ and senθ, and the Hessian matrix to find the critical points. However, it is unclear how to find g(y) without more information.
Sly37

Homework Statement

Find the maxima and minima of:

f(x,y)=(1/2)*x^2 + g(y)

g∈⊂ (δ⊂ ℝ )

in this region
Ω={(x,y)∈ℝ2 / (1/2)*x^2 + y^2 ≤ 1 }

hint: g: δ⊆ ℝ→ℝ

The absolute min of f in Ω is 0
The absolute max of f in Ω is 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the parameterization of the region: √2 *cosθ and senθ
I also know ∇f(x,y)=(x,g`(y))=(0,0)
x=0, g´(y)=0
Hessian Matrix= [ 1 0
0 g``(y) ]
Determinat of the hessian matrix=g``(y)

How can I complete this problem if I don't have the function g(y)?, how can I find g(y)?

Physics news on Phys.org
g∈⊂ (δ⊂ ℝ )
What does that mean?

The new parameter set is for the border of Ω only? For maxima/minima inside, I would keep x and y. It is easy to find a condition for x there.

How can I complete this problem if I don't have the function g(y)?, how can I find g(y)?
That is strange, indeed.

mfb said:
What does that mean?

The new parameter set is for the border of Ω only? For maxima/minima inside, I would keep x and y. It is easy to find a condition for x there.

That is strange, indeed.

I believe that means that g belongs to a subset of ℝ.

Yes, the new parameter is just for the border.

All the possible critical points would have to be (0,?). and ? being the result gotten from g`(y)=0, right?

I don't recognize "belongs to" as a mathematical term. g is certainly not a subset of ℝ, as it is a function ℝ→ℝ.

All the possible critical points would have to be (0,?). and ? being the result gotten from g`(y)=0, right?
Right, assuming g is differentiable.

mfb said:
I don't recognize "belongs to" as a mathematical term. g is certainly not a subset of ℝ, as it is a function ℝ→ℝ.

Right, assuming g is differentiable.

That`s what my teacher told me, but you are right it doesn´t make sense.

1. What is the definition of a local maximum or minimum of a function of several variables?

A local maximum or minimum of a function of several variables is a point where the function has a higher or lower value than all other nearby points within a small neighborhood. This means that the function is either increasing or decreasing in all directions around this point.

2. How do you find the critical points of a function of several variables?

To find the critical points of a function of several variables, you need to take the partial derivative of the function with respect to each variable and set them equal to 0. Then, solve the resulting system of equations to find the critical points.

3. What is the difference between a local and a global maximum or minimum?

A local maximum or minimum is a point where the function has the highest or lowest value within a small neighborhood, while a global maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest value of the entire function. A local maximum or minimum may or may not be the global maximum or minimum.

4. Can a function have more than one local maximum or minimum?

Yes, a function can have multiple local maxima or minima. These points can occur at different locations within the domain of the function. However, a function can only have one global maximum or minimum.

5. How can you determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum?

You can determine if a critical point is a maximum or minimum by evaluating the second partial derivatives at that point. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a local minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a local maximum. If the second derivative is 0, further analysis is needed to determine the nature of the critical point.