Maxima and Minima of tan(sinx + sin3x) on (-pi,pi)

  • Thread starter Thread starter wildcat12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Max
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
wildcat12
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the maxima and minima of the function f(x)=tan(sinx + sin3x) on the interval (-pi,pi)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I found the derivative as sec^2x (sinx +sin3x) (cosx + cos3x) and when i set it equal to zero i found critical points at Sin=pi/2, and cos=pi/2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait i typed that part wrong. i had derivative of sin(3x) as 3Cos(3x)
 
Good, so your derivative is

[tex]\frac{\cos(x)+3\cos(3x)}{\cos^2(\sin(x)+\sin(3x))}[/tex]

This can only become zero if [tex]\cos(x)+3\cos(3x)[/tex]. So you'll need to solve the equation [tex]\cos(x)=-3\cos(3x)[/tex]. I believe there will be infinitly many solutions to this, but I'm not sure...