Maximal Ideal Theorem: Proving M/IM=O for R-Module M and Ideal I

• Thread starter mclove
  • Start date
M is a left or right R-module and points out that the proof does not seem correct if I is a maximal ideal.In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that if M is an R-module and I is an ideal of R, and Mm=0 for all maximal ideals m, then M=IM. The attempt at a solution uses an exact sequence to show that M/IM=O, but Petek raises questions about the orientation of R operations and the possibility of M=0 if I is a maximal ideal.
mclove

Homework Statement

let M be an R-module and I an ideal of R
suppose Mm=0 for all maximal ideals m
then, M=IM

The Attempt at a Solution

O[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] IM [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] M [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] M/IM [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] O is exact seq
To show that M/IM=O (then M=IM)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is M a left R-module or a right R-module? You have R operating both on the right (Mm = 0) and the left (M = IM) of M. Also, assuming that all R operations are on the left (say), then what if I is a maximal ideal? We'd then have that M = MI = 0, which doesn't seem correct.

Petek

1. What is the Maximal Ideal Theorem?

The Maximal Ideal Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that for a ring R and an ideal I, there exists a maximal ideal M such that M is contained in I and M is not contained in any larger ideal of R. In other words, M is the largest possible ideal that is still contained in I.

2. How is the Maximal Ideal Theorem used to prove M/IM=O for R-Module M and Ideal I?

First, the Maximal Ideal Theorem is used to find a maximal ideal M that is contained in I. Then, it is shown that for any element m in M, m is also in IM. This means that M is a subset of IM, and since M is maximal, it must be equal to IM. Therefore, M/IM = O.

3. Why is it important to prove M/IM=O for R-Module M and Ideal I?

Proving M/IM=O is important because it allows us to understand the structure of the quotient module M/IM. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and representation theory.

4. What is the significance of the Maximal Ideal Theorem in ring theory?

The Maximal Ideal Theorem is an important result in ring theory because it helps us to understand the structure of ideals in a ring. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as commutative algebra and algebraic geometry.

5. Can the Maximal Ideal Theorem be extended to other algebraic structures?

Yes, the Maximal Ideal Theorem has been extended to other algebraic structures, such as modules over non-commutative rings and vector spaces over division rings. However, the proof and conditions may differ from the original theorem in the context of rings.