Maximizing LaTeX Sum Function with Substack: Quick Fix Tips

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter tom1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Sum
In summary, the user is having problems printing their references, and also have problems with their contents page not printing. Additionally, they are experiencing other issues with the document.
tom1985
Hi guys,

Basically I need to have 2 lines underneath a sum, but when I use the {\ substack} command it makes no difference. Any ideas how I can remedy this?

Physics news on Phys.org
substack works for me. Did you put enough brackets etc. in? I just did this and it works: \sum_{\substack{m=1\\n=0}}
[tex]\sum_{\substack{m=1\\n=0}} [/tex]

Thanks for the reply.
I seem to have enough brackets. I am inputing:

\begin{equation}
\sum_{\substack{{\bf 1},{\bf 2} \\{\bf 1}\neq{\bf 2}}}
=
\sum^\prime_{{\bf 1},{\bf 2}}
\end{equation}
I get the error message "undefined control sequence" ...

[tex]\sum_{\substack{{\bf 1},{\bf 2} \\{\bf 1}\neq{\bf 2}}}
=
\sum^\prime_{{\bf 1},{\bf 2}}
[/tex]

I don't see anything wrong with that-- it works here and on my editor programme.

Can you find out which control sequence it thinks is undefined? Are you sure the error is for that equation?

Last edited:
Are you using the AMS package?
I just put in \usepackage{ams} or whatever, and the substack worked in the \equation environment, but then went completely mental in the \eqnarray environment- thus I guess I will have to change all of the commands to AMS ones right? Not sure I have the time to do that :(

Yea, I am using ams-- in the preamble I've got \usepackage{amsmath} and \usepackage{amssymb}.

substack works in eqnarray for me...:confused:

I will give that a try.

Couple of other annoying problems:

My references are printing out but the numbers in the text aren't printing. All i get is [?].

My contents page doesn't want to seem to print out either, it just comes up with a blank page once it has been printed out?

tom1985 said:
I will give that a try.

Couple of other annoying problems:

My references are printing out but the numbers in the text aren't printing. All i get is [?].

My contents page doesn't want to seem to print out either, it just comes up with a blank page once it has been printed out?

Make sure you execute the file twice before viewing the pdf document. I don't really know why you have to do this, but I remember when I was given a brief lesson on how to use latex, the instructor said it was important to execute twice before viewing.

What programs do you guys use to draw figures to insert into LaTeX?
I only have crappy "paint" - not sure that will cut it.

cristo said:
Make sure you execute the file twice before viewing the pdf document. I don't really know why you have to do this, but I remember when I was given a brief lesson on how to use latex, the instructor said it was important to execute twice before viewing.

The first time through it writes a file containing the reference numbers. The second time, it reads the file before it formats the document, so it knows what numbers to use.

Strictly speaking you may need more than 2 passes, because inserting the numbers could change the pagination, so the numbers would be wrong.

If you have the program "texify" it does all the multiple pass stuff automatically.

Anything that will generate images in .eps format will do nicely.

For simple diagrams, \usepackage{xy}, or \begin{picture} ... \end{picture}, can do the whole job in LaTeX.

AlephZero said:
The first time through it writes a file containing the reference numbers. The second time, it reads the file before it formats the document, so it knows what numbers to use.

Thanks, that makes sense now!

tom1985 said:
I only have crappy "paint" - not sure that will cut it.

I tend to draw diagrams in powerpoint and then export as a jpg-- OK, it's not all that professional, but it does the job pretty well!

1. What is LaTeX sum?

LaTeX sum is a mathematical symbol used to represent the sum of a set of numbers or mathematical expressions. It is denoted by the symbol Σ and is commonly used in mathematical and scientific documents.

2. How do I use the LaTeX sum symbol?

To use the LaTeX sum symbol, you can type \sum in your LaTeX document and it will automatically convert to the symbol Σ. You can also use the command \displaystyle\sum to display the symbol in a larger size.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the LaTeX sum symbol?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the LaTeX sum symbol by using different packages or commands in your LaTeX document. For example, the package "amsmath" allows you to use the command \sum\limits to display the limits of the sum above and below the symbol.

4. What is the difference between \sum and \displaystyle\sum in LaTeX?

The command \sum is used to display the LaTeX sum symbol in its default size, while \displaystyle\sum is used to display the symbol in a larger size. Additionally, \displaystyle\sum also allows you to display the limits of the sum above and below the symbol.

5. Can I use the LaTeX sum symbol in other types of documents?

Yes, you can use the LaTeX sum symbol in other types of documents such as presentations and websites by using the LaTeX code or by using a LaTeX equation editor. However, for the symbol to display correctly, the document must support LaTeX symbols and fonts.