Maximum angle of acceptance - optical fibre

In summary: The critical angle is the angle between the ray of light incident on the object and the ray of light that exits the object. It is the angle at which the light is turned 90 degrees.
Petra de Ruyter
Hi all

Tearing my hair out trying to calculate the Maximum acceptance angle for a problem. Experiment involved shining a laser into a tube of water. I have calculated the angle of refraction based on the average of two critical angles (one known and one measured manually) as 52.49 degrees. Asked to calculate the maximum angle of acceptance with just the critical and the angle of refraction. I am of the opinion that more information is needed, can someone please clarify.

Ive tried several geometric ways around this and can't get it?
Cheers

Science news on Phys.org
So, if I am not mistaken the water acts as the core and the glass as cladding? However you know that the core must have higher refractive index than cladding which is hardly achievable for such configuration (most glasses have higher refractive index than water).
Petra de Ruyter said:
52.49 degrees
Between which media did you get this value?

Air and water :-)

Petra de Ruyter said:
Air and water :-)
The critical angle between water and air is about ##48.6^o##, I wonder what are the known and measured values of critical angle with which you obtained that averaged value. Can you tell us?

53.00 and 51.98 The laser that was provided was pretty weak and the angles are a bit sketchy.

Cheers

Regardless of that peculiarity of the given value, the acceptance angle is calculated using ray optics. The ray diagram is illustrated in the picture below.
Numerical_Aperture_Angles_D1-780.jpg

You want to express ##\theta_a## in terms of ##\theta_c##. Clearly you need to know ##n_i##, ##n_f##, and ##n_c##.

What do you mean by critical angle?

Khashishi said:
What do you mean by critical angle?
Wiki will help you with this.

Maybe I should have said, how are you measuring the critical angle? And why can't you measure the acceptance angle?

Likes sophiecentaur
Hi there. I could not measure it because I did not have the refractive index, now I do and all is well. many thanks for all your assistance.

1. What is the maximum angle of acceptance for an optical fiber?

The maximum angle of acceptance for an optical fiber is the largest angle at which light can enter the fiber and still be transmitted through it. This angle is determined by the numerical aperture (NA) of the fiber, which is a measure of the light-gathering ability of the fiber.

2. How is the maximum angle of acceptance calculated for an optical fiber?

The maximum angle of acceptance can be calculated by using the formula NA = n sinθ, where NA is the numerical aperture, n is the refractive index of the fiber core, and θ is the maximum angle of acceptance. The value of n is typically between 1.4 and 1.6 for most optical fibers.

3. Why is the maximum angle of acceptance important for optical fibers?

The maximum angle of acceptance is important for optical fibers because it determines the amount of light that can enter the fiber and be transmitted. A larger maximum angle of acceptance allows for more light to be collected and transmitted, resulting in better signal strength and data transmission.

4. How does the maximum angle of acceptance affect the performance of an optical fiber?

The maximum angle of acceptance directly impacts the performance of an optical fiber. A larger maximum angle of acceptance allows for more light to be collected and transmitted, resulting in better signal strength and data transmission. It also affects the distance and speed at which the fiber can transmit data.

5. Can the maximum angle of acceptance be increased for an optical fiber?

The maximum angle of acceptance for an optical fiber is primarily determined by the refractive index of the fiber core, which cannot be changed. However, using specialized coatings or lenses at the ends of the fiber, the angle of acceptance can be increased slightly. Additionally, using a larger diameter fiber can also increase the maximum angle of acceptance.