Maximum possible force between two electrically charged plates?

In summary: I was thinking that I could just charge it until it reached 20 kV and then stopped. But according to the article, that wouldn't be safe, is there a specific limit to how much charge I could put on the plate before it caused a coulomb explosion?In summary, the article says that the upper limit to how much charge you can put on an iron particle before it causes a coulomb explosion is generated by a potential of +20 kV.
Bobcent
Hi!

What is the limit to how much you can electrically charge two plates? I want to create the maximum possible force between the two plates per kilogram of plate.

Say that the plates are separated by a good vacuum, because that is the best insulator, right? The plates are also surrounded by vacuum.

Does it highly depend on the material being used for the plate? I'm investigating Carbon Fiber.

Is the problem that it is hard to generate the high voltage needed to create the charge?

Or is the problem rather that after a certain point the negatively charged plate will start to "leak" a large amount electrons to the positively charged plate? If this is the problem, why not just make both plates positively charged? I don't care if the plates attract or repel each other, I just want to create a really strong force between them.

And also, if these plates were to rotate at a very high speed (say 10 km/s), would this create a magnetic field? I have learned that magnetic fields are a relativistic effect of electrical fields in motion, but how fast do the plates need to rotate before significant magnetic fields develop?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I'm really grateful for any respone to any of them! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, and thanks for your reply, very interesting article!

So according to this article the limit of positive charge for an iron particle before coulomb explosion occurs is generated by a potential of +20 kV.

So if I have a plate composed of iron with a mass of say 1 kg, and charge it so that its potential is +20 kV, how do I calculate its charge?

1. What is the maximum possible force between two electrically charged plates?

The maximum possible force between two electrically charged plates is determined by Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the maximum force affected by the distance between the plates?

The maximum force between two charged plates is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the plates increases, the force between them decreases.

3. Does the size of the plates affect the maximum force?

The size of the plates does not affect the maximum force between them. As long as the charges and distance between the plates remain the same, the maximum force will also remain the same.

4. Can the maximum force between two charged plates be greater than the force of gravity?

It is possible for the maximum force between two charged plates to be greater than the force of gravity. This depends on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between the plates.

5. How can the maximum force between two charged plates be calculated?

The maximum force between two charged plates can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the charges divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by the constant k (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2). This can be represented by the equation F = (q1 x q2) / (d^2 x k).