1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum power delivered by a solar cell to a resistive load

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The current-voltage characteristic of a photovoltaic energy converter (solar cell) shown in the attached figure can be approximated by:

[tex]i = I_1(e^{v/V_{TH}} - 1) - I_2[/tex]

where the first term characterizes the diode in the dark and I2 is a term that depends on light intensity.

Assume [itex]I_1 = 10^{-9}[/itex] and assume light exposure such that [itex]I_2 = 10^{-3}\ A[/itex].

If it is desired to maximize the power that the solar cell can deliver to a resistive load, determine the optimum value of the resistor. How much power can this cell deliver?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This question doesn't provide any value for VTH, but the book mentions that diodes tipically have VTH = 0.025 V, so I assume it is the value to be used here.

Applying KVL to the attached figure:

[tex]v+Ri=0[/tex]

The question asks for the value of R for which [itex]P=Ri^2[/itex] is a maximum, so I suppose I should differentiate P with respect to R. However, I first need to solve [itex]v+Ri=0[/itex] and [itex]i = I_1(e^{v/V_{TH}} - 1) - I_2[/itex] simultaneously in order to find i in terms of R, and it doesn't appear to be possible analytically.

Any hint on how to continue?

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

• fig.GIF
      fig.GIF
      File size:
      1.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your problem is that you want to do ##\frac{d}{dR}i(R)=0## on $$i(R)=I_1\left ( e^{-iR/V_{TH}} -1 \right ) -I_2$$ ... won't it do that implicitly by the chain rule?
    (could be wrong - in which case I'd look for approximations)

4. Feb 6, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the answer.

I think that I arrived at a solution. I tried to do it as follows:

Since the voltage across the resistor is [itex]-v[/itex] (in which I put a minus sign to follow the associated variables convention) and the current through the resistor is [itex]i[/itex], the power consumed by the resistor is [itex]P = -vi[/itex].

[tex]\frac{dP}{dR} = -v\frac{di}{dR} - i\frac{dv}{dR}[/tex]

I look for a maximum when the above expression is zero:

[tex]v\frac{di}{dR} = -i\frac{dv}{dR}[/tex]

[itex]\frac{di}{dR}[/itex] can be expressed as:

[tex]\frac{di}{dR} = \frac{di}{dv}\frac{dv}{dR} = \frac{I_1e^{v/V_{TH}}}{V_{th}}\frac{dv}{dR} [/tex]

Substituting that into [itex]v\frac{di}{dR} = -i\frac{dv}{dR}[/itex], I get:

[tex]v\frac{I_1e^{v/V_{TH}}}{V_{th}}\frac{dv}{dR} = -i\frac{dv}{dR}[/tex]

So, the [itex]\frac{dv}{dR}[/itex] ends up cancelling out. Since i is expressed in terms of v, I got an expression that involves v only, which can be solved for v. Doing this, I get that v is approximately 0.28 V. Plugging this into the expression for i, I get that i is approximately -0.00092 A.

Thus, from v = -iR, the resistance is approximately 307.64 ohms, and power consumed is P = -vi = +0.26 mW.

Now I'm left with proving that this is actually the maximum value for P. But I guess that this is reasonable, because P = 0 for R = 0, and R is not bounded to the right, so it appears the maximum can't be at an extremum.

Is this correct?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. Feb 6, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Happy to corroborate your answer. Nice work! My approach was a bit different: I solved for R(i), then extremalized (i^2)R(i) using d(i^2)R(i)/dt = 0. Had to use Excel to arrive at your number for i (transcendental equation).

It's a maximum for exactly the reason you gave.

6. Feb 6, 2013 #5
    OK, thank you for confirming it and for providing an alternative approach.

7. Feb 6, 2013 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, and of course I meant to say (d[i2R(i)/dR = 0.

Also BTW I used the approximation exp(v/VTh) - 1 ~ exp(v/VTh). In this case exp(0.28v/0.026V) = 47535 which certainly >> 1. You can almost always do that for a diode i-V characteristic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook