1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Power Output of a Turbine

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    I need with the following question.

Argon gas expands in an adiabatic turbine from 3MPa and 750 C to .2 MPa at a rate of 5 kg/s. Neglect KE and PE effects. Find maximum power output.

I know I need to first find the temperature of state two and then use that to solve for h2 (I have already solved for h1) then plug it in to W=mass flow rate(h1-h2) to solve for the work and go from there but I am having a problem finding T2. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    Welcome thermohelp12,

I think you need to make the assumption that the turbine is isentropic.

P.S. There is a HW help section of the forums.
  4. Aug 11, 2008 #3
    I think h2oski1326 was right you need to consider the isentropic process because according to your problem the gas expands in adiabatic process, that means you have a closed sytem, and if the system is closed there is no cahange in temperature. you can solved h2 using temperature from h1.
  5. Aug 11, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

Turbines are open systems (i.e. control volumes).

A closed system does not necessarily mean that there is not a temperature change. An adiabatic system means that no heat is transferred across the system boundary. This is a common assumption (in homework problems) with turbines since they are normally well insulated.

BTW, this thread is 5 months old.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?