Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Maximum Power Output of a Turbine

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    I need with the following question.

Argon gas expands in an adiabatic turbine from 3MPa and 750 C to .2 MPa at a rate of 5 kg/s. Neglect KE and PE effects. Find maximum power output.

I know I need to first find the temperature of state two and then use that to solve for h2 (I have already solved for h1) then plug it in to W=mass flow rate(h1-h2) to solve for the work and go from there but I am having a problem finding T2. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    Welcome thermohelp12,

I think you need to make the assumption that the turbine is isentropic.

P.S. There is a HW help section of the forums.

4. Aug 11, 2008 #3
    I think h2oski1326 was right you need to consider the isentropic process because according to your problem the gas expands in adiabatic process, that means you have a closed sytem, and if the system is closed there is no cahange in temperature. you can solved h2 using temperature from h1.

5. Aug 11, 2008 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Turbines are open systems (i.e. control volumes).

A closed system does not necessarily mean that there is not a temperature change. An adiabatic system means that no heat is transferred across the system boundary. This is a common assumption (in homework problems) with turbines since they are normally well insulated.

BTW, this thread is 5 months old.

CS

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook