Maximum speed of sinusoidal vibration in s.h.m.

In summary, the question is about finding the maximum speed of a hydraulic valve component attached to a vibration testing machine. The given values include frequency of vibration, period of motion, acceleration amplitude, and vibration amplitude. The equation for calculating speed in simple harmonic motion is v=d(x)/d(t). It is assumed that the change in time is equal to the period of motion and the change in position (x) is equal to the vibration amplitude. The question also asks for help in calculating the maximum acceleration given the maximum speed. One possible solution is to use the formula a = a0*sin(2*pi*t/T) and integrate to find the maximum velocity. However, the exact nature of the problem is unclear.
Bugsy23

Homework Statement

I need to find the maximum speed of a hydraulic valve component which is attached to a vibration testing machine and subjected to sinusoidal vibrations. The values I have so far are the frequency of vibration, the period of motion, the acceleration amplitude and the vibration amplitude.

Homework Equations

The only equation I have found for calculating speed in simple harmonic motion is
v=d(x)/d(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the change in time would be the same as the period of motion. Would the change in position (x) then be equal to the vibration amplitude?

(If anyone knows how to calculate the maximum acceleration, given the maximum speed, that would also be very helpful. Thanks)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well if you have sinusoidal vibrations, period of motion and acceleration amplitude, you can write acceleration as:
a = a0*sin(2*pi*t/T)
a0 - amplitude of acceleration t - time, T - period.
from here by integration you can find velocity and its maximum value.
but i did not quite understood your problem ;]

Last edited:

What is the maximum speed of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The maximum speed of an object in simple harmonic motion is equal to the amplitude multiplied by the angular frequency.

What factors affect the maximum speed of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The maximum speed of an object in simple harmonic motion is affected by the amplitude, the mass of the object, and the frequency of the motion.

How does the maximum speed change with amplitude in simple harmonic motion?

The maximum speed of an object in simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the amplitude. As the amplitude increases, the maximum speed also increases.

Does the maximum speed in simple harmonic motion depend on the mass of the object?

Yes, the maximum speed in simple harmonic motion is inversely proportional to the mass of the object. As the mass increases, the maximum speed decreases.

Is there a limit to the maximum speed in simple harmonic motion?

No, there is no limit to the maximum speed in simple harmonic motion. As long as the amplitude and frequency of the motion are kept constant, the maximum speed can continue to increase.