Maximum Velocity of a Con-Rod with Off-set Crank.

In summary, CWatters states that the maximum angular velocity of a connecting rod which uses a slider-mechanism with an offset crank occurs at a 90 degree angle to the angle at which the piston is at full extension/retraction.
MorgansRocks
How do you calculate the Maximum Anglular Velocity (and angle at which this occurs) of a connecting rod which uses a slider-mechanism with an offset crank?

ω = 300 rpm, 10[itex]\pi[/itex] rad s-1
crank shaft, r = 50mm (0 → A)
connection rod, l = 200mm (A → B)

When crank angle = 45 degrees, the connection rod is horizontal and in-line with the piston.

I have calcualted, at 45 degrees, the velocity of the piston relative to 0 (1.11 m s-1) and the angular velocity of the con-rod, AB about A. (5.55 rad s-1 using a vector diagram for v, and ω=v/l

Not really looking, for an answer just a point in the right direction. Not came across a problem with an off-set crank before and don't really know where to start.

Thanks

Likes Keston Harrison
Physics news on Phys.org
I think on a conventional crank the connecting rod is going at maximum velocity when the connecting rod is tangential to the crank disc (eg 90 degrees to the crank arm). In that position the connecting rod is going in the same direction as the crank pin. At other times the crank pin is going in a slightly different direction. I think I've got that right.

CWatters said:
I think on a conventional crank the connecting rod is going at maximum velocity when the connecting rod is tangential to the crank disc (eg 90 degrees to the crank arm). In that position the connecting rod is going in the same direction as the crank pin. At other times the crank pin is going in a slightly different direction. I think I've got that right.

Thanks CWatters,

Yeah, I think you are right, if inertia and friction are disregarded, as both the velocity of the piston and the tangetial velocity of the crank will be in the same direction. Would therefore, the appropriate crank angle for a off-set crank be 90°, perpendicular, to the angle at which the piston is at full extension/retraction, ie. when the velocity of the piston is 0?

I calculated this angle using sine triangle theory to 8.13°, making the angle of maximum angular velocity 98.13°.

Best ignore my first post as I got totally mixed up somehow.

Take a look at the enclosed diagram. It shows a general offset crank not the one in the problem.

GC is the connecting rod
CO is the crank

At any instant the connecting rod is rotating about the Gudgeon pin G.
At the other end the crank is rotating with velocity V tangential to the crank disc.
The velocity at 90 degrees to the connecting rod is Vcos(∠OCG). That's a maximium when ∠OCG = 0 or 180. Which is also TDC or BDC

Attachments

• Crank.png
    Crank.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,101
CWatters said:
At any instant the connecting rod is rotating about the Gudgeon pin G.
At the other end the crank is rotating with velocity V tangential to the crank disc.
The velocity at 90 degrees to the connecting rod is Vcos([itex]\angle[/itex]OCG). That's a maximium when [itex]\angle[/itex]OCG = 0 or 180. Which is also TDC or BDC

Thanks, CWatters, that makes sense mathematically, since cos 0,180 = 1,-1.

Sorry to go on, but does the maximum velocity of the connecting rod occur at TDC, & BDC, because at that instant there is no horizontal velocity (piston movement)? Therefore, 100% of the tangential velocity of the crankshaft (OC) is utilised to move the connecting rod (CG), obviously disregarding friction, inertia, etc.

does the maximum velocity of the connecting rod occur at TDC, & BDC, because at that instant there is no horizontal velocity (piston movement).

No you can forget what the piston end is doing. It's all about the other end..

Imagine you were sat riding on the gudegeon pin looking towards the crank end. From that viewpoint..

1) the GP end appears statationary
2) the crank end appears to waggle left and right as per the attached drawing.

The angular velocity would be zero when it changes direction and a maximium "somewhere" inbetween. It would be dangerous to assume that the fastest point was exactly in the middle as in some situations it might not be..

To work out the angular velocity you need to know the velocity with which the far end is moving back and forth by writing an equation for the velocity shown dotted. Note that this is not the same as the crank velocity. It varies with the position of the crank. See previous drawing for the trig used.

Then when you have the equation you work out when the equation is at a maximium.

It so happens that this is when the piston is at TDC or BDC but for other types of machine it might not be.

Attachments

• Crank1.png
    Crank1.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 851
Last edited:
CWatters said:
To work out the angular velocity you need to know the velocity with which the far end is moving back and forth by writing an equation for the velocity shown dotted. Note that this is not the same as the crank velocity. It varies with the position of the crank. See previous drawing for the trig used.

Then when you have the equation you work out when the equation is at a maximium.

It so happens that this is when the piston is at TDC or BDC but for other types of machine it might not be.

Thanks for your reply, again.

Ok, so the velocity, v, at point C would be:

vC=rOCOC.cos(180-[itex]\angleOCG[/itex]), so would be at a maximum when [itex]\angleOCG[/itex])=0° or 180°.

and therefore, angular velocity, ωC, would be:

ωC=vC/lCG

I think.

I agree.

I made the angle = Tan-1(50cos(45)/(50+200) = 8.05 degrees.

Edit: I mean 8.05 degrees to the horizontal

Thanks for your help.

Much appreciated.

CWatters or MorgansRocks do you have the velocity diagrams and acceleration diagrams for this question? Its thrown me a little since its a set up I am unfamiliar with.

1. What is the maximum velocity of a con-rod with off-set crank?

The maximum velocity of a con-rod with off-set crank can vary depending on the specific design and material of the con-rod, as well as the speed at which it is rotating. However, in general, the maximum velocity can range from 3,000 to 10,000 feet per minute.

2. How does the off-set crank affect the maximum velocity of the con-rod?

The off-set crank allows for a longer stroke length, which in turn increases the maximum velocity of the con-rod. This is because the off-set crank creates a larger angle between the connecting rod and the crankshaft, allowing for a greater distance to be covered with each rotation.

3. What factors can affect the maximum velocity of a con-rod with off-set crank?

Some factors that can affect the maximum velocity of a con-rod with off-set crank include the material and design of the con-rod, the speed and power of the engine, and the lubrication and cooling of the engine components.

4. How does the maximum velocity of a con-rod with off-set crank impact engine performance?

The maximum velocity of a con-rod with off-set crank can greatly impact engine performance, as it directly affects the speed and power of the engine. A higher maximum velocity can result in a more powerful and efficient engine, while a lower maximum velocity can lead to decreased performance and potential engine damage.

5. Can the maximum velocity of a con-rod with off-set crank be increased?

Yes, the maximum velocity of a con-rod with off-set crank can be increased through various means, such as using lighter and stronger materials for the con-rod, optimizing the engine design, and implementing efficient lubrication and cooling systems.