Velocity and angular velocity of piston in slider crank mechanism

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
bobmarly12345
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The instantaneous configuration of a slider crank mechanism has a crank GH 10cm long, the connecting rod HP is 50cm. The crank makes an angle of 60 degree with the inner dead centre position and is rotating at 110 rev/min. Determine the velocity of the piston P and the angular velocity of the link HP.

cannot find any simliar examples in textbooks or online which will help me with this question.



Homework Equations






The Attempt at a Solution


Really have no idea where to start but I've made a start whether its right i don't know.

Right, first off I've converted the 110rev/min=w into 11.5Rads/s
so w=11.5Rads/s
i then assumed you had to find the velocity at H in order to find the velocity at P
so Velocity at H = (Wgh) X gh
Vh = 11.5rads/s X 0.1m
= 1.15ms^-1

(i don't know if that is correct for starters & how i use that to find the velocity at P then the angular velocity at HP, please help?)
 
Attachments
  • gfhgfdgfdgd.png
    gfhgfdgfdgd.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 674
Physics news on Phys.org
Before putting all the numbers in, I would label the length of the crankshaft ##c##, and the radius of the wheel ##r##, the distance ##PG = x##. Then write an equation giving ##x## in terms of the angle of rotation ##\theta##. Solve the equations you need before plugging in numbers.
 
i have an idea of what you mean but I'm still quite lost
 
You are going to have to show some effort. Drop a perpendicular down from H to the horizontal axis. That breaks ##x## into two legs of right triangles. You should be able to use trigonometry and the Pythagorean theorem to express ##x## in terms of the angle of rotation ##\theta## and the other constants ##r## and ##c##. Ultimately, the velocity of the piston will be ##\frac{dx}{dt}##.
 
would this formula work, [ -rw(cos(60)+((sin2(60)/(2xsqrt(n²-sin²(60)))) ]
where n = L/R
i get a negative value when i use it, the piston is moving in the negative direction.
 
I'm sorry, but since you don't seem to care about my suggestions, I am resigning from this problem.