1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell relations Thermodynamics

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that: [itex] (\frac{∂T} {∂V})_S,_n=-(\frac {∂P} {∂S})_V,_n [/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    [itex] dU=TdS-PdV+μdn [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex] \frac {∂} {∂S} (\frac{∂U} {∂V})_S,_n=-(\frac {∂P} {∂S})_V,_n [/itex]

[itex] \frac {∂} {∂V} (\frac{∂U} {∂S})_V,_n=(\frac{∂T} {∂V})_S,_n [/itex]

I tried to isolate T and P, but I get stuck:
    [itex] TdS=dU+PdV [/itex]

[itex] -PdV=dU-TdS [/itex]

How can I demonstrate that they are equal?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2
  4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    It looks like you already had it in your first two equations of Attempt at a Solution. You are aware that 2nd partial derivatives with respect to two variables are interchangeable (commutative), correct?

Chet

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4
    Yes I see that, but I ment to obtain [itex] −(\frac {∂P} {∂S})_V,_n [/itex] from [itex] (\frac {∂T} {∂V})_S,_n [/itex] or viceversa, demonstrating Schwartz relation in some way.

6. Nov 30, 2014 #5
    Isn't that what your first two equations under Attempt demonstrate?

Chet

7. Nov 30, 2014 #6
    If I say they are equal, I am assuming that Schwartz relation is valid in this case, or that U is a continuos function. I want to demonstrate why Schwartz relation is valid.

8. Nov 30, 2014 #7
    What's wrong with assuming that U is a continuous function for a single-component single-phase material?

Chet

9. Nov 30, 2014 #8
    Nothing, but in an exam I would have to reason why I assume that U is continuous, so if I could go from [itex] -\left( {\frac{\partial P} {\partial S}}\right)_{V,n} [/itex] to [itex] \left( {\frac{\partial T} {\partial V}}\right)_{S,n} [/itex] by using derivatives and their properties, the problem would be solved I think.

10. Nov 30, 2014 #9
    Why would you think it's not continuous?

Chet

11. Nov 30, 2014 #10
    I think it's continuous, I know from theory, but it's not a given in the problem, so if i use it, I have to say why. As I don't know how to justify that U is continuous, I think that, if I can demonstrate that Schwartz relation is valid, then, I can avoid justifying its continuity.

12. Nov 30, 2014 #11
    I don't know what to say. Are you a mathematician or a physicist? If the latter, why would you think that internal energy is not a continuous function of entropy and volume?

Chet

13. Nov 30, 2014 #12
    I'm studying Physics, and I know it is a continuous function of entropy and volume, but one thing is knowing and another is proving. I need to prove this knowledge.

14. Nov 30, 2014 #13
    It's observed experimentally. Does that count as proof? Otherwise you need to start looking into statistical thermo.

Chet

15. Nov 30, 2014 #14
    Mmm statiscal thermo is a subject I will study next year, so if there's no other proof I suppose experimental proof is what I need.Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted