Maxwell relations

Homework Statement

[/B]
I'm stuck on part c of the attached problem:
SzQ4Ski.png

Homework Equations

$$C_P - C_V = \left[P + \left( \frac {∂U}{∂V} \right)_T \right]\left( \frac {∂V}{∂T} \right)_P$$

$$P + \left( \frac {∂U}{∂V} \right)_T = T \left( \frac {∂P}{∂T} \right)_V$$

$$\left(P + \frac {a}{V^2} \right)(V - b) = RT$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to use the bottom two equations to find to find ##P + \left( \frac {∂U}{∂V} \right)_T ## and ##\left( \frac {∂V}{∂T} \right)_P## and plug these expressions in the top equation for CP - CV.

I've found $$\left (\frac {∂P}{∂T} \right)_V = \frac {R}{V - b}$$
$$∴ P + \left( \frac {∂U}{∂V} \right)_T = \frac {RT}{V - B}$$

But I'm having trouble finding ##\left (\frac {∂V}{∂T} \right)_P## because I can't seem to make V the subject of the Van der Waals gas expression.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Take the Van der Waal's equation and take a differential of both sides, using the product rule, (or just multiply out the left side), and treating ## P ## as a constant. You should get a couple of terms that are multiplied by ## dV ##. On the right side you will have ## R \, dT ##.

Last edited:
Take the Van der Waal's equation and take a differential of both sides, using the product rule, (or just multiply out the left side), and treating ## P ## as a constant. You should get a couple of terms that have are multiplied by ## dV ##. On the right side you will have ## R \, dT ##.
Oh I see. Thanks, I got it now :)

Likes Charles Link