What is the difference between magnitude and intensity in physics?

• Thread starter samar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the difference between magnitude and intensity is that magnitude is a measure of size or quantity while intensity is a measure of energy flux. Intensity is not commonly used in physics and has a specific definition that involves multiplying energy density by velocity.
samar
May i know the difference...

Hello,how are you all?

i want to know the main differnce between magnitude and intensity with example?

regards

samar

Physics news on Phys.org
samar said:
Hello,how are you all?

i want to know the main differnce between magnitude and intensity with example

Hello samar! :smile:

I'm very well, thankyou. How are you?

erm … the difference between magnitude and intensity of what? :smile:

magnitude and intensity not of anything...just magnitude n intensity...like of atom?

… wikipedia again … !

Hi samar! :smile:

Intensity isn't normally used in physics, and when it is, it has a very particular meaning … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensity:
In physics, intensity is a measure of the time-averaged energy flux. The word "intensity" here is not synonymous with "strength", "amplitude", or "level", as it sometimes is in colloquial speech. For example, "the intensity of pressure" is meaningless, since the parameters of those variables do not match.
To find the intensity, take the energy density (that is, the energy per unit volume) and multiply it by the velocity at which the energy is moving. The resulting vector has the units of power divided by area (i.e. watt/m²).

Have you come across it in some book? :smile:

What is the difference between knowledge and information?

The main difference between knowledge and information is that knowledge refers to the understanding and awareness of a subject or topic, while information is the data or facts about a subject or topic. Knowledge involves critical thinking and the ability to apply information, while information is simply the data itself.

Can information be turned into knowledge?

Yes, information can be turned into knowledge through the process of learning and understanding. By analyzing and interpreting information, we can gain insights and understanding, which can then be applied to create knowledge.

How does knowledge differ from wisdom?

While knowledge is the understanding and awareness of a subject, wisdom is the ability to apply that knowledge in a practical and meaningful way. Wisdom involves making good judgments and decisions based on knowledge and experience.

Is knowledge always beneficial?

While knowledge can be a powerful tool, it is not always beneficial. It is important to use knowledge ethically and responsibly, as it can also be used for negative purposes. Additionally, knowledge does not always guarantee success or happiness.

Can knowledge and information be interchangeable?

No, knowledge and information are not interchangeable. While they are related, they are not the same. Knowledge involves understanding and critical thinking, while information is simply data or facts. In some cases, information may lead to knowledge, but they are distinct concepts.