Calculating LLD: Conflicting Equations & Application Specificity

In summary, I can't seem to find a definitive equation for calculation of LLD (lower limit of detection). Cember has one equation, and other sources I research have completely different equations. I'm more apt to go with Cember's equation, especially seeing as many of the govermental guides have conflicting equations. I know sometimes the equation can be application specific, so mostly wipes for contamination (whether routine wipes or decommission wipes) is the equation I'm looking for.Is this for homework problem or laboratory measurement problem?
daveb
I can't seem to find a definitive equation for calculation of LLD (lower limit of detection). Cember has one equation, and other sources I research have completely different equations. I'm more apt to go with Cember's equation ,especially seeing as many of the govermental guides have conflicting equations. I know sometimes the equation can be application specific, so mostly wipes for contamination (whether routine wipes or decommission wipes) is the equation I'm looking for.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this for homework problem or laboratory measurement problem?

LLD would depend on the type of detector and radiation. Are you using a 2[itex]\pi[/itex] detector?

Neither. It's for the job. Apparently, some idiot used the wrong formula for the MDA way back when, and no one in the office can seem to find the correct formula. If we could find another that agrees with Cember, we'd most likely go with that one.

daveb said:
Neither. It's for the job. Apparently, some idiot used the wrong formula for the MDA way back when, and no one in the office can seem to find the correct formula. If we could find another that agrees with Cember, we'd most likely go with that one.
:rofl: Yep, I've seen that many times before. Something that someone did 20, 30, 40+ years ago, and that person has long since gone (terminated, retired or died), and no one knows why it was done that way. The stories I could tell. :rolleyes:

I'll look around. I have an old Cember. You might try Glenn Knolls book, and IIRC there is a Radiation Protection Handbook or Radiological Health Handbook.

Last edited:
Try these resources

Secondly, you should also review Section 4 of DOE's EML handbook HASL 300. In the discussion and Figures 1 and 2 you will note radioactive decay is a random event, following certain statistical principles. Additionally, a "background" count rate (for example, from cosmic ray and terrestrial gamma ray interactions) will be observed by your detector in a sample measurement. This too will be random in nature and exhibit a distribution about a mean. I believe what you are asking about in your question relates to what most health physicists refer to as the Minimum Detectable Activity (MDA) and Low Limit of Detection (LLD).

Consider the scenario where one has such a low count distribution that the background and sample count distributions begin to overlap (for example, shown in Figure 2). The LLD accounts for the background distribution and statistical "confidence level," and provides a point where one can say that the sample contains detectable net counts, given an acceptable risk of a false positive. The LLD is calculated by multiplying 4.65 times the standard deviation of the background count rate. The MDA is obtained by dividing the LLD by the detector efficiency (E in counts per disintegration), that is, to obtain activity. Other factors can be applied too, such as detector area or sample size to obtain other minimum detectable quantities.

http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q807.html

Q: What is a good reference for an introduction to counting statistics?

A: I have found the section beginning on page 396 of Herman Cember's Introduction to Health Physics, Third Edition, McGraw-Hill, 1996, to be a convenient source of information for counting statistics. Others are:

Knoll, G. Radiation Detection and Measurement, McGraw Hill Book Company, 1989 or latest edition

Tsoulfanidis, N. Measurement and Detection of Radiation, McGraw Hill Book Company, 1995

Bevington, P.; Robinson, D.K. Data Reduction and Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1992

http://www.eml.doe.gov/publications/procman/

http://www.eml.doe.gov/publications/procman/Sect4/4_5-3.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I meant to look at the HP website but it completely slipped my mind. DOH!

Astronuc said:
Try these resources

http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q807.html
Astronuc,

Yes, the Health Physics Society is a great place for people to get answers to their
questions with regard to health effects and safety of nuclear technology.

I referred several anti-nukes who were trying to stir up support for "The Tooth Fairy Project".
I pointed them to:

http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q616.html

The Tooth Fairy Project is an attempt to assign blame to nuclear power plants for
trace amounts of Strontium-90 found in the deciduous teeth [ "baby teeth" ] of
children from a given area.

The "study" is terribly flawed as discussed by numerous scientists at:

http://mailman.mcmaster.ca/mailman/private/cdn-nucl-l/9911.gz/msg00011.html

For example, Bob Flood of the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center at Stanford
University concludes the following:

"...Ignoring such things as transport mechanisms and food chain
characteristics and jumping straight to assigning blame to nuclear
power plants seems a fair demonstration to the preconceived notions
the project started with. They had the answer before they started;
they are now simply deriving the question..."

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Is this for homework problem or laboratory measurement problem?

LLD would depend on the type of detector and radiation. Are you using a 2[itex]\pi[/itex] detector?
Hello Astronuc, Your verbal explanation of LLD clarified so much for me. I was searching for a similar definition for MDA. If it helps, I use a Protean gas-flow proportional counter to quantify gross beta-gamma.

Last edited:

1. What is LLD and why is it important in scientific calculations?

LLD stands for Lower Limit of Detection, and it is the lowest concentration or amount of a substance that can be reliably detected by a given analytical method. It is important in scientific calculations because it helps determine the accuracy and sensitivity of the method being used.

2. What are conflicting equations and how do they affect LLD calculations?

Conflicting equations refer to different mathematical formulas used to calculate LLD. These equations can lead to different results and can cause confusion when trying to determine the LLD for a specific application. It is important to carefully choose and understand the equation being used to ensure accurate LLD calculations.

3. How does application specificity impact LLD calculations?

Application specificity refers to the specific purpose or use of a method or instrument. LLD calculations may vary depending on the application, as different substances or samples may have different LLDs. It is important to consider the specific application when calculating LLD to ensure accurate results.

4. Can LLD be determined experimentally?

Yes, LLD can be determined experimentally by running multiple trials with known concentrations of a substance and determining the lowest concentration that can be reliably detected. This method is often used when conflicting equations or application specificity make it difficult to calculate LLD using mathematical formulas.

5. How can LLD be lowered in analytical methods?

LLD can be lowered by improving the sensitivity of the method, such as using more sensitive instruments or optimizing experimental conditions. However, it is important to note that there is a limit to how low LLD can be lowered, as there will always be a certain level of background noise and interference in any analytical method.