Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Me poor old pins

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Since i am obliged to travel by shanks pony every where these day, i have a problem, it is hot and humid and the top of my legs chaff against my jeans , any one else have this problem?
    i am fed up walking like a duck.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Need a little silk woolie. How's every thing else?

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I usually wear shorts if it's not in the middle of the winter.

Also, getting pants with a less coarse material (khakis tend to be smoother than jeans, for example. Or sweatpants even) seems to help.

As a last ditch effort, you can go into the bathroom and use toilet paper to wipe the sides of your legs dry after arriving somewhere

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks for asking dlgoff, i have been branded as having a serious mental illness, stuff and nonsense if you ask me, but it will be at least 3 months before i can drive again.

6. Sep 12, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Have you tried dusting your legs with corn-starch? I used to wear loose khakis when I worked on paper machines, but some of my crew used corn-starch to prevent/relieve chafing.

7. Sep 12, 2009 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I have corn flour, the stuff for thickening gravy, is that the same?

8. Sep 12, 2009 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  9. Sep 12, 2009 #8

wolram

Gold Member

lol.

10. Sep 12, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please don't actually answer this question, just think the answer quietly to yourself. :biggrin: What kind of underwear are you wearing? Perhaps boxer briefs (someone from Britain may have to translate that into Woolie-speak if it's not the same term there) will provide the necessary barrier between your legs and surfaces that can chafe, without actually chafing themselves.

And, yes, regular corn starch, like you have in the kitchen, will work just fine. There are also powders that are mostly corn starch but with just a little extra ingredients that keep it from clumping together so it's easier to apply that you could try. If you have the brand Gold Bond powder there, that's medicated, so will help relieve the itch and sting of the chafing already there while preventing further chafing.

11. Sep 12, 2009 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If none of these things work, tryhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_shorts" [Broken].

Hope you can get back behind the wheel soon, Woolie.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Sep 12, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I used to have the same problem. It was an awfully long time ago, but I think that I used Vaseline Intensive care lotion for it.

13. Sep 12, 2009 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Captain Kirk (William Shatner) swears by women's panty hose to avoid chafing.

You could cut the legs off just above or below the knees if you don't want full coverage.

14. Sep 12, 2009 #13
    Evo knows her nylons - a very good idea.

15. Sep 13, 2009 #14

Danger

Gold Member

A good idea in principle, but I can foresee some inconvenience when he has to throw a whiz. :uhh:

16. Sep 13, 2009 #15

turbo

Gold Member

That sounds a lot like the Joe Namath solution....

17. Sep 13, 2009 #16
    Ha, I was about to suggest bicycle shorts. This sounds a lot less obviously embarrassing. Shatner probably wears a girdle too. Maybe Woolie can find a nice set of pumps to complete the package. ;-p

18. Sep 13, 2009 #17
    I still think Evo knocked it out of the ball park - sans pumps and girdle (shame on you SA).

19. Sep 13, 2009 #18

wolram

Gold Member

lmao.

20. Sep 13, 2009 #19

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Everyone in UK drives as if having a mental illness. I think it is called hemispatial neglect.

21. Sep 13, 2009 #20

wolram

Gold Member

I blame seat belts and air bags.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook