ME vs. MET: Preparing for FE Exam

• Thread starter Seth Allen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the person is seeking guidance on their current situation and is hoping for insight from those with knowledge. They have a BSMET degree from Georgia Southern University and 2.5+ years of CAD experience with GE Gas Turbines. They have recently transferred to an Oil and Gas company in Texas as an applications engineer for centrifugal pump packages, but their ultimate goal is to be a mechanical design engineer. They are eligible to take the FE exam after completing a refresher course in March and are wondering if passing the exam will validate their ability to perform higher level mathematics in the ME program. They also mention that the job position they are seeking typically requires a BSME degree, but they meet all other requirements and are confident in their
Seth Allen
Hello all,

I'm looking for some guidance on my current situation and was hoping for some insight form those who might would know.

I currently have a BSMET degree for Georgia Southern University. Since graduating I've had 2.5+ years of CAD experience using NX7.5 working for GE Gas Turbines and have recently transferred to and Oil and Gas company in Texas where I work as an applications engineer specific to centrifugal pump packages. My ultimate goal is to be a mechanical design engineer where I can combine CAD, FEA, mathematics, vendor relations, and project management to lead new product design.

The MET program at Georgia Southern was accredited and I am therefore eligible to take the FE exam which I am set to do upon the completion of a refresher course in March.

Within the company I am working for, the job position I am seeking typically requires a BSME degree but I meet every single other requirement for the position and am extremely confident in those abilities requested. By passing the FE exam, am I correct in thinking that this will validate my ability to perform the higher level mathematics found in the ME program? As the exam isn't specific to ME or MET, when passed should greatly add to my resume given I have a MET?

Any input or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I also realized that I have posted this in the wrong section. If the moderator could move it to the careers section I believe that would be more fitting. Sorry again, and thanks.

1. What is the difference between ME and MET?

ME stands for Mechanical Engineering, while MET stands for Mechanical Engineering Technology. ME is a more theoretical and design-based field, while MET is more hands-on and focuses on the application and implementation of engineering principles.

2. Which one should I choose to prepare for the FE exam?

It ultimately depends on your personal strengths and career goals. If you have a strong understanding of theoretical concepts and enjoy problem-solving and design, ME may be a better fit. If you prefer hands-on work and have a practical approach to problem-solving, MET may be a better choice.

3. Do the study materials differ for ME and MET for the FE exam?

Yes, the study materials will differ as the two fields have different focuses and applications. However, the core principles and concepts for the FE exam are the same for both ME and MET.

4. Can I switch from ME to MET or vice versa after preparing for the FE exam?

Yes, you can switch between the two fields as they have some overlap in coursework and job opportunities. However, it may require additional education or certification depending on the specific career path you choose.

5. How can I best prepare for the FE exam in either ME or MET?

The best way to prepare for the FE exam is to thoroughly review and understand the core principles and concepts covered on the exam. This can be done through self-study using study guides and practice problems or through review courses offered by universities or professional organizations. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the exam by taking practice tests and seeking advice from those who have successfully passed the exam.