Can qualia exist without dependence on external factors?

• Thread starter Ferris_bg
  • Start date
In summary, there is no meaning without dependence, but there could be information without dependence.
Ferris_bg
Could there be a meaning without dependence, what you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ferris_bg said:
Could there be a meaning without dependence, what you think?

No.

But more controversially, can there be information without dependence?

In my opinion, generally no except in one case - Qualia or something analogous to what is termed as "qualia".

Why? Because, regardless of what the "reality" is underlying the qualia and how deceptive qualia may be it seems to have a "reality" of it's own, even with all it's subjectivity, so it *may* have some independence of it's own.

It seems for example, my knowing all the "mechanisms" or "causality" or "theory of everything" behind these qualia, I do not think it changes the experience of the qualia itself. Qualia seem to be "independent" of "what's out there", or "what is the true model" or what "reality" is.

Although knowing the "causality" of these qualia in principle may allow some way to change the specific qualia experienced using some breathtakingly futuristic technology (some hyper-enhanced virtual reality indistinguishable from reality) but it seems these experiences will nonetheless remain "qualia", therefore qualia seem to have independent "meaning" for that entity or individual experience.

All the sophisticated top-down and bottom-up causality principles seem to me to be a further escalation of broadly "mechanistic" explanations for qualia itself without appearing to directly address the problem of qualia experienced by individual selves. On the other hand any non-mechanistic approach doesn't seem to allow further progress on understanding this and seems to lead to some kind of irrational mysticysm. It's a conundrum.

I almost wonder if some kind of neutral monism is the answer to individual qualia.

I merely speculate on this but these are my initial thoughts on a subject I approach with an understanding that we have a lot to learn as science advances.

1. What is "meaning without dependence"?

Meaning without dependence refers to the concept that something can have significance or purpose without being reliant on something else. In other words, it can stand on its own and does not require external factors to give it meaning.

2. How is "meaning without dependence" relevant in science?

In science, "meaning without dependence" can refer to the idea that a certain phenomenon or theory can have significance and value on its own, without being linked to other theories or principles. This allows for a more objective and unbiased approach to understanding the natural world.

3. Can you give an example of "meaning without dependence" in science?

One example of "meaning without dependence" in science is the concept of gravity. The theory of gravity has significance and value in explaining the movement of objects without the need for other theories or principles to support it.

4. How does "meaning without dependence" differ from "meaning with dependence"?

"Meaning without dependence" differs from "meaning with dependence" in that the former does not require external factors to give something significance or purpose, while the latter relies on other factors to give meaning.

5. Why is understanding "meaning without dependence" important in the scientific community?

Understanding "meaning without dependence" is important in the scientific community because it allows for a more objective and unbiased approach to understanding the natural world. It also encourages critical thinking and questioning of existing theories and principles, leading to further advancements in scientific understanding.