Measure temperature without a microcontroller

In summary, the thermocouple produces a low voltage and you will need to use a gain to get an accurate reading.
vukhanh97na
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello everyone . I'm having a project about : Use thermorcouple to measure temperature without microcontroller(0 - 200 oC) . I researched and i think : " use opamp and icl7107 for display " . But i have 2 problem :
- I can't amplify exactly signal from thermorcouple (because it's very small ~uV) .
- I don't know how to display icl7107 with single ended input . ( i think i designed as datasheet) .

So i hope tobe given some specific guidance from you.

Sorry , 'cause my writing isn't good enough.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 492
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    31.6 KB · Views: 498
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    8.2 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give more information about your application?

Off the top of my head, you could use a pid controller. It is a packaged unit that can display the temperature and give various outputs based on temperature setpoints.

I used to work for a company that built gauges to measure exhaust gas temperature using a thermocouple. A pair of op amps were used which fed the A/D input of a microcontroller. You obviously will have to find a way without using a microcontroller, but you can certainly use google to find an appropriate op amp to use. I am sorry I can't recall which op amp was used but I can tell you that amplifying a signal from a thermocouple was in the application notes. It was taylor made for it.

Likes vukhanh97na
Try search terms thermocouple signal conditioner or thermocouple signal transmitter. Two companies that come up are Omega (www.omega.com) and Automationdirect (www.automationdirect.com). I have had good experience with both of those companies.

Omega also has several panel meters that connect directly to thermocouples. Their DP20 (https://www.omega.com/pptst/DP20.html) will work with ten different types of thermocouples, and costs about the same as a thermocouple signal conditioner.

On the other hand, if your project is to design and build a circuit to read a thermocouple, I hope that you have been studying about isothermal junction blocks, cold junction compensation, electrical interference, impedance, and several other topics related to making a thermocouple actually work.

Likes jim hardy, vukhanh97na and Asymptotic
You will need a reference temperature or a compensator, an amplifier and display.
Here is an example low-power circuit, with a kit of parts.
http://www.herdware.com/shop/analog/thermocouple-amplifier/
Follow that with any analogue meter or DMM.

Likes jim hardy and vukhanh97na
Baluncore said:
You will need a reference temperature or a compensator, an amplifier and display.
Here is an example low-power circuit, with a kit of parts.
http://www.herdware.com/shop/analog/thermocouple-amplifier/
Follow that with any analogue meter or DMM.

thank for your help . i think i know how to ampify . I used INA122 . But i can't display icl7107 . I connected single ended input to Vin+ (of icl7107 ) , GND to Vin- . But it didn't , The simulation didn't run . But when i use Battery ( replace for thermoucouple ) it work . i don't know where i fail .

this is the first time i do it . sorry if my question make you feel uncomfortable.

A thermocouple produces a low voltage. There are also thermal voltages produced where you connect it to the amplifier. Unless you compensate for those other voltages, your temperature measurements will drift. The simplest way to elliminate drift is to use two thermocouples back to back which eliminates the connector thermal differential voltages. You then accurately measure the temperature difference between the two thermocouples. Only when one is in melting ice will you get an accurate reading.

The other way is to use only one thermocouple, but with a thermal compensation voltage, so you don't need the bucket of ice. That is done in the circuit and kit I referenced.

The ICL7107 is a differential converter designed to run on a single 9V battery. The common voltage is set internally by the chip, so you must reference your input to the common, (pin 32). The amplifier will need to amplify relative to that common reference provided by the chip.

If I remember from 40 years ago, connecting the reference inputs to the signal inputs of the ICL7107 chip should give a reading of 1.000; Check that on your simulator. The display goes from 0.000 to 1.999 which will become 000.0°C to 199.9°C.

What type of thermocouple will you use ?
A common type K thermocouple, = chromel–alumel, produces 41 µV/°C, which for a 200°C range produces a total of only 8.2 mV. Without amplification, the differential reference voltage would need to be half that = 4.1 mV.

You could wind the converter reference voltage down to only 4.1mV and see how it goes. Conversion noise can be reduced by using a higher reference voltage, say about 250 mV. That suggests you need a gain of about (250mV/4.1mV) = 61 times. Your example circuit shows a gain of only 3.

I will not do all your work for you. You need to read and understand the way the 7107 generates it's common voltage and how the quad-slope converters work by switching between inputs. Get a copy of the full data sheet and read up on reference voltage range etc. Maybe it is time I had another look at that datasheet.

Likes vukhanh97na
I really like that analog kit that @Baluncore found.

In the really old days we used a hand built d'Arsonval meter movement .
You had to use leadwires with correct resistance.
Cold junction compensation was by a temperature sensitive zero adjust spring in the meter movement itself.

Holy Cow ! It looks like somebody still makes one !
http://ptc1.com/pdf/326.pdf

old jim

Likes vukhanh97na
If your looking at set temp use a comparitor and a threshold setting resistor.

Likes vukhanh97na
This is probably the lowest cost solution for type K compensation and amplification. Approx US$5.00 inc postage. (see also post #6, above).
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AD597-K-type-Thermocouple-Temperature-Control-Board-Module-Ultimaker/192177271302

1. How can temperature be measured without a microcontroller?

Temperature can be measured without a microcontroller by using a thermocouple, thermistor, or resistance temperature detector (RTD). These are electronic sensors that can measure temperature and output an electrical signal, which can then be interpreted by a data acquisition system.

2. What is a thermocouple and how does it work?

A thermocouple is a type of temperature sensor that consists of two different types of metal wires joined together at one end. When there is a temperature difference between the two ends, a voltage is generated that is proportional to the temperature difference. This voltage can then be measured and used to determine the temperature.

3. How accurate is temperature measurement without a microcontroller?

The accuracy of temperature measurement without a microcontroller depends on the type of sensor used. Thermocouples have an accuracy of around ±1°C, while thermistors and RTDs can have accuracies of ±0.1°C or better. The accuracy can also be affected by external factors such as noise and interference.

4. Can temperature be measured without a microcontroller in real-time?

Yes, temperature can be measured without a microcontroller in real-time. The sensor output can be connected to a data acquisition system, which can continuously read and record the temperature readings. However, the speed and accuracy of the real-time measurement may be limited by the sensor and data acquisition system used.

5. What are the advantages of measuring temperature without a microcontroller?

One advantage of measuring temperature without a microcontroller is cost savings. Sensors such as thermocouples and thermistors are relatively inexpensive compared to microcontrollers. Additionally, using a sensor without a microcontroller can simplify the system and reduce the risk of programming errors. It also allows for more flexibility in terms of the type and number of sensors that can be used.