Multiply Binary Numbers with Hex Keypad

• Thread starter kadaj6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation is about designing a basic multiplication calculator using only logic gates, registers, buffers, and RAM, without involving programming or microcontrollers. The main challenge is implementing a 3x4 keypad to display the numbers in binary. The poster is seeking help with their current attempt and has been asked to provide a state diagram and truth table for further assistance.
kadaj6
hello,

I'm trying to design a "calculator" that multiplies two four bit binary numbers without using any type of programming or microcontrollers. so far it can multiply and show me the answer, I am using a hex keypad, and ascii display. but I am having trouble since i have to actually show "5x5=25" since x equals 1010 in binary and = equals 1101 in binary. everytime i press those numbers its going to use them to multiply with the number i input before... I am stuck and frustrated... any help would be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
kadaj6 said:
hello,

I'm trying to design a "calculator" that multiplies two four bit binary numbers without using any type of programming or microcontrollers. so far it can multiply and show me the answer, I am using a hex keypad, and ascii display. but I am having trouble since i have to actually show "5x5=25" since x equals 1010 in binary and = equals 1101 in binary. everytime i press those numbers its going to use them to multiply with the number i input before... I am stuck and frustrated... any help would be nice.

Hello.
I am not so sure how you are implementing this design but why not have it automatically print the "x" sign after you enter the first number and automatically enter "=" after you enter the second number? Is this an option?

is that idk where to send the "1010" value when i press it... that's what i have in my head lol but don't know how to implement

kadaj6 said:
hello,

I'm trying to design a "calculator" that multiplies two four bit binary numbers without using any type of programming or microcontrollers.

What do you mean by that? How are you going to implement this design without programming and a microcontroller? Like strait from the keypad to the LCD?

kadaj6 said:
hello,

It sounds like you need to throw an error if the user types anything other than Y x Z =.

If they try to type a 2-digit number like YY x ZZ = just display ERROR or something similar. Or EEEE.

3x4 Keypad

Homework Statement

ok, so I am designing a basic multiplication calculator using only logic gates registers buffers and ram, and any other chip that doesn't involve programming or microcontrollers. i have the rest of the circuit done all I need is the implementation of a keypad that gives me the output of the number I am pressing in binary(yes i know there is a 3x4 keypad alreade but the profesor wants us to implement it)

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture.PNG

this is my attempt so far, I have no idea what else to do. maybe someone can help me with this

Thanks in advance! :D

(Two threads merged...)

kadaj6 said:

Homework Statement

ok, so I am designing a basic multiplication calculator using only logic gates registers buffers and ram, and any other chip that doesn't involve programming or microcontrollers. i have the rest of the circuit done all I need is the implementation of a keypad that gives me the output of the number I am pressing in binary(yes i know there is a 3x4 keypad alreade but the profesor wants us to implement it)

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 64646

this is my attempt so far, I have no idea what else to do. maybe someone can help me with this

Thanks in advance! :D

You need to post your state diagram and truth table(s) before we can be of much help...

1. How does the hex keypad work for multiplying binary numbers?

The hex keypad works by converting binary numbers into hexadecimal format, which is a base-16 number system. This allows for easier multiplication and calculation of binary numbers.

2. Can any hex keypad be used for multiplying binary numbers?

Yes, any hex keypad can be used to multiply binary numbers as long as it has the necessary keys for entering binary and hexadecimal numbers.

3. What are the benefits of using a hex keypad for multiplying binary numbers?

The main benefit of using a hex keypad for multiplying binary numbers is the ability to convert between the two number systems quickly and easily. This can save time and reduce errors in calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to using a hex keypad for multiplying binary numbers?

One limitation of using a hex keypad for multiplying binary numbers is that it requires some knowledge of hexadecimal and binary number systems. If one is not familiar with these number systems, it may be more difficult to use a hex keypad for multiplication.

5. Is it possible to multiply more than two binary numbers using a hex keypad?

Yes, it is possible to multiply more than two binary numbers using a hex keypad. This can be done by multiplying two numbers at a time and then using the product as one of the numbers for the next multiplication. This process can be repeated as many times as needed to multiply multiple binary numbers.