Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement of capacitance of dielectric film using front contants

1. Aug 25, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I have deposited a film of dielectric on SiO2 substrate. Then, deposited metal dots on the top of dielectric film to measure electrical properties. I want to measure capacitance using metal dots on the top of dielectric. Since I have SiO2 as a substrate, I can not make a parallel plate capacitance measurement. But someone told me, it is possible to calculate capacitance using only front contacts (two metal dots). It will be very helpful if someone can give a reference to book or article.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It believe (not 100% sure) it is possible to use what is essentially a Van der Pauw measurement to measure the capacitance (or rather the dielectric constant) of a thin film. Might be worth looking into. You can definitely use it to measure the surface resistance.

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3
    Thanks f95toli, I tried to find more material using Van der Pauw measurement for dielectric constant, but I could not find. Please let me know if you can get any reference. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook