Measurement of spin due to the force on a magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring the spin of a particle by measuring the force on a magnet. There is a debate on the feasibility of this idea, with some suggesting the use of a torsion balance or a continuous stream of atoms to measure the average force on the magnet. However, the accuracy of such measurements for single spins is questioned.
Prathyush
Can we measure the spin of a particle by measuring the force on a Magnet?

I wish to consider a modified stern gerlach like apparatus where a Magnet of mass M is attached to a spring. Can we measure Spin of the particle by studying the deflection of the magnet?

Even if it is possible, I can see No way to calculate the force on the magnetic.
I think the consideration that the spring is composed of several degrees of excitation becomes important to analyze this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
How tiny of a magnet do you have to be able to detect that small force?

Whenever you want to figure out something like this, you have to do a back-of-the-envelope calculation on the quantitative aspect of it. Figure out what strength of force that something like this would produce, and then see if there is a realistic setup that will be able to detect it!

Zz.

My guess would be that
the Force of the particle = Force on the Magnet = μ∇B.
The change in momentum = μ∇B*δT = μ∇B L/P
where δT = L/P
Where L is the extension P is the momentum.

And what "numbers" do you get? The magnitude will determine what you will need to detect such a thing. This is what I mean by being quantitative! It is how physicists design experiments.

Zz.

Numbers and whether such an experiment is performable is not my focus. My main interest is to understand how such a setup must be treated in theory.

On one hand We have the measurement apparatus(The Spring+Magnet System) that is described by classical laws. On the Other Hand We have a Spin, whose state is described by a wave function.
I wish to undertake a an analysis of what measurement apparatus is using a simple system. I think It becomes very important to take into consideration that the spring is composed of many degrees of freedom.

Prathyush said:
Numbers and whether such an experiment is performable is not my focus. My main interest is to understand how such a setup must be treated in theory.

On one hand We have the measurement apparatus(The Spring+Magnet System) that is described by classical laws. On the Other Hand We have a Spin, whose state is described by a wave function.
I wish to undertake a an analysis of what measurement apparatus is using a simple system. I think It becomes very important to take into consideration that the spring is composed of many degrees of freedom.

Ah, but the devil is in the DETAILS!

What will kill your spring-magnet system is that you will NOT be able to find a magnet sensitive enough to measure such a thing. That's why a quantitative value is crucial! I'm trying to teach you how to think through something like this when you are trying to figure out what can and cannot be done. Your dismissal of any quantitative evaluation will turn your idea into something useless if you are not aware of what can be realistically done!

Why do you think we have SQUIDs, and why do you think these are the most common devices to measure magnetic flux?

Zz.

Torsion balances can easily measure forces of ~10^(-8) N, which is equivalent to the gravitational force between two 1kg-masses at 10cm separation. This number is 200 years old, so you can probably add a lot of sensitivity now.
Stern and Gerlach used a magnetic field gradient of 10T/cm, multiplied by the magnetic moment of an electron this gives a force of 20^(-20)N per atom. This is 100 years old, so maybe you get better gradients now (or the same gradients with less mass). You should have multiple atoms in the field at the same, of course.
Can close the gap between both numbers?

mfb said:
Torsion balances can easily measure forces of ~10^(-8) N, which is equivalent to the gravitational force between two 1kg-masses at 10cm separation. This number is 200 years old, so you can probably add a lot of sensitivity now.
Stern and Gerlach used a magnetic field gradient of 10T/cm, multiplied by the magnetic moment of an electron this gives a force of 20^(-20)N per atom. This is 100 years old, so maybe you get better gradients now (or the same gradients with less mass). You should have multiple atoms in the field at the same, of course.

But this doesn't measure the "spin of a particle", per the OP.

Putting a bunch of atoms together and measuring the collective magnetic moment isn't that straightforward. Anyone who has done NMR or EPR experiment (as in electron paramagnetic resonance) can tell you, the atom-atom interaction and temperature WILL affect the orientation of neighboring atoms. One can already see this in solids where the nature of the Heisenburg coupling, for example, can determine if something is ferromagnetic or antiferromagnetic.

Zz.

Basically this is the classical Einstein de Haas experiment from 1915.

Well, it would measure the spin of a lot of particles, preferably a polarized beam.

Anyone who has done NMR
Did that. But not with a beam of particles.

mfb said:

So It appears that sort of some classical version of this experiment can be performed where A Continuous stream of atoms are sent through the apparatus and we can measure the average force on the magnet. That should be directly related to average spin of the particles that enter the setup.
Though measurements for single spin would be difficult to perform.
Is it meaningful to ask the question what is the Impulse the magnet feels when a single atom passes through. How does a record of that Impulse correspond to measurement of the electron.
DrDu said:
Basically this is the classical Einstein de Haas experiment from 1915.

The Einstein de Haas experiment involves several electrons, we are interested in the effect due to one spin.

Prathyush said:
Is it meaningful to ask the question what is the Impulse the magnet feels when a single atom passes through. How does a record of that Impulse correspond to measurement of the electron.
It depends on the speed of the atom and the length of the setup. A thermal atom with ~1km/s and 10cm length of the setup would give 100µs, multiplied with the force this corresponds to 10^(-24) kg m/s.

mfb said:
20^(-20)N per atom
Typo, should be 10^(-20)

PhilDSP said:
Is there any chance that this type of experiment could be adapted to provide a similar measurement, at least indirectly?

http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/07/researchers-control-reactions-between-just-two-atoms/

I am not sure, how do you intend to set it up?

mfb said:
It depends on the speed of the atom and the length of the setup. A thermal atom with ~1km/s and 10cm length of the setup would give 100µs, multiplied with the force this corresponds to 10^(-24) kg m/s.

It appears Such an impulse would be rather Difficult/Impossible to measure.

But say one can somehow construct an apparatus that is sensitive enough to measure The force applied by the spring. I am very to understand How to apply A formalism That deals with springs that are to be treated Classically and Spins that must be treated Quantum Mechanically. In specific How does One see that Impulse must be quantized.

Interesting aspect with a spring. The energy corresponding to a momentum is given by [itex]E=\frac{p^2}{2m}[/itex]. Using m=1kg and p from above, this corresponds to 5*10-49J or ~5*10-15Hz. The single atom could not excite the whole spring/magnet system for any reasonable setup.

Thank you ZapperZ and mfb,
I see this is a Highly impractical situation. I will try to look else. Maybe research up on SQUIDS.
Can some one please refer me to a lucid introduction to the subject.

Related to Measurement of spin due to the force on a magnet

1. What is spin and how is it related to magnets?

Spin is an intrinsic property of subatomic particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. It refers to the rotation or angular momentum of these particles. In the case of magnets, the spin of electrons causes them to act like tiny magnets with north and south poles, resulting in the magnetic force.

2. How is the spin of a magnet measured?

The spin of a magnet can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument detects the magnetic field strength and direction, which can then be used to calculate the spin of the magnet.

3. What is the force on a magnet and how is it related to spin?

The force on a magnet is the result of the interaction between its magnetic field and another magnetic field. This force is directly related to the spin of the magnet, as the strength and direction of the magnetic field is determined by the spin of the particles within the magnet.

4. Can the spin of a magnet be changed?

Yes, the spin of a magnet can be changed by applying an external magnetic field. This can cause the particles within the magnet to align their spins in a different direction, resulting in a change in the magnetic field and force.

5. What is the practical application of measuring spin due to the force on a magnet?

The measurement of spin due to the force on a magnet has many practical applications, such as in the development of magnetic storage devices, sensors, and medical imaging technologies. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level.