Measuring distance on a 300 mm cylinder with two lasers 200 mm apart

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
subhamies
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all
I have assigned a task to measure distance at two points separated 200 mm apart on a cylinder having diameter about 300 mm dia. The distance from point and measuring point will be 150 mm and that of for second point will be 150.05mm.I have an idea of using two lasers mounted 200 mm apart on a fixture and measure the time traveled by both beams and calculate the distance.
But I am looking after opinion for design in view to carry out feasbility study in details.I also welcome the thoughts/opinion for laser specifications and suppliers thereof.
All thoughts are highly appreciated.
thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you show a diagram of your setup? I don't think, at these distances, that time of travel will be an effective means to measure distance. Would your setup lend itself to interferometry?