Measuring energy of photon to within some accuracy

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the minimum length of time needed to measure the energy of a photon to an accuracy of 10^(-15) Joules. One approach suggested is to use the equation E = hv, where v is the frequency of the photon and h is Planck's constant in J*s. However, this method may not take into account the wavelength of the photon. The other suggested approach involves utilizing the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which relates energy with time and Planck's constant. It is also mentioned that the uncertainty principle can be derived using commutators.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

Estimate the minimum length of time needed to measure the energy of a photon to an accuracy of 10^(-15) Joules.

Homework Equations

E = hv, where v is the frequency of the photon and h is Planck's constant in J*s

Watts = Joules/second

The Attempt at a Solution

I can think of two ways to get the units to work out right, but I'm fairly certain they're not right. One would be to ignore the specific frequency of the photon, assuming that E is proportional to Planck's constant in J*s, and dividing to obtain an answer in seconds. But that seems unreasonable to me since the wavelength of the photon should plausibly matter.

The only other thing that comes to mind straight away is to somehow utilize the definition of watts, to determine how long it would take to get some wattage, but I don't feel that this is right, either.

What am I missing? I'm sure this is a simple, 30 second problem, I'm just having a mind block... :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you certain you need to use E = hv?
I think this is a problem dealing with the Heisenberg uncertainty princple, relating energy with time and Planck's constant. Maybe you should read up on it?

aha, that's perfect! I can't believe I didn't even think of it. I knew I was missing something easy. It's easy to derive the uncertainty principle with commutators, too, in case one has forgotten that as well. Thanks!

(See what 4 months of break from school does to the mind?? :grumpy:)

1. What is the energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon is a fundamental unit of electromagnetic radiation and is determined by its frequency. It is usually measured in electron volts (eV) or joules (J).

2. How is the energy of a photon measured?

The energy of a photon can be measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy, which involves measuring the absorption or emission of electromagnetic radiation by a sample. The energy of a photon can also be calculated using the Planck-Einstein equation: E = hf, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of the photon.

3. Why is it important to measure the energy of a photon accurately?

Accurately measuring the energy of a photon is important in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of materials, as well as the composition and structure of celestial objects.

4. What is the accuracy of measuring the energy of a photon?

The accuracy of measuring the energy of a photon depends on the technique used and the equipment available. In general, modern techniques can measure the energy of a photon to within a few decimal places, often with an accuracy of 0.001 eV or better.

5. Can the energy of a photon be measured in real-time?

Yes, the energy of a photon can be measured in real-time using advanced techniques such as time-resolved spectroscopy. This allows scientists to study the dynamics of energy transfer and chemical reactions, providing valuable insights into various processes and phenomena.