Measuring Infrared Irradiance for Solar Research

In summary, the solar cell measures the power generated by the infrared light that is being separated out, but it is not capable of measuring the irradiance or the total power of the infrared light exiting the waveguide.
SIM77
I'm working on research into the feasibility of separating out the infrared rays above 1200 nm in sunlight for solar power generation. Since silicon cells do not effectively harness these wavelengths, we are experimenting with using interference coatings and a wave guide to separate these waves out.

Since we'll need to measure the impact that this separation will have on the available power, I'm wondering how we could measure the power that is separated out? The visible light can simply be measured with the silicon cell, but how can the infrared light be measured? Given our dimensions, I'd expect ~25 W of infrared light leaving through a 40 cm^2 opening. This would mean getting an output 6250 W/m^2.

Ideally I'd be looking to measure either the irradiance or the total power of the infrared light exiting the waveguide. I'd rather measure this directly if possible. I looked at using a pyranometer for this, but our irradiance seems to be too high for this and I'm not very familiar with optics in general.

Anyone have any ideas for measuring devices?

Science news on Phys.org
You can measure in two steps: measure total irradiance (A) entering your cell, then insert the filters and repeat the measurement (B). Your solar cell then sees the fraction (B)/(A).

Finally you can measure the power generated by the solar cell, (C), giving the efficiency as (C)/(B) for the wavelengths used.

Oh sorry, I wasn't specific about the configuration. So the infrared and visible would be split such that they travel down different funnels.

The solar cell actually cannot react to wavelengths beyond 1200 nm, so it would not be capable of measuring this infrared light. Thanks for your help though.

SIM77 said:
Oh sorry, I wasn't specific about the configuration. So the infrared and visible would be split such that they travel down different funnels.

The solar cell actually cannot react to wavelengths beyond 1200 nm, so it would not be capable of measuring this infrared light. Thanks for your help though.

I was suggesting that you use another type of measuring device (such as a bolometer), then measure a well-defined flux with and then without the filter.

Ah, well that makes sense. I was actually unfamiliar with bolometers, it sounds promising though. Do you have any other recommendations for measuring infrared power?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I'll have to look through those resources

What is infrared irradiance?

Infrared irradiance is a measure of the amount of infrared radiation that is being emitted or absorbed by a surface. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²).

Why is measuring infrared irradiance important for solar research?

Infrared irradiance is important for solar research because it is a key component of the total solar irradiance, which is the amount of solar energy that reaches the Earth's atmosphere. Infrared radiation plays a crucial role in understanding the Earth's climate and how it is affected by solar activity.

What equipment is needed to measure infrared irradiance?

The equipment needed to measure infrared irradiance includes a pyrgeometer, which is a type of radiometer specifically designed to measure infrared radiation, and a data logger to record the measurements. Other equipment such as a solar tracker and shading devices may also be used to ensure accurate measurements.

How is infrared irradiance measured?

Infrared irradiance is typically measured using a pyrgeometer, which contains a thermopile sensor that converts incoming infrared radiation into an electrical signal. The data from the sensor is then recorded by a data logger and can be analyzed to determine the amount of infrared irradiance.

What are some applications of measuring infrared irradiance?

Measuring infrared irradiance has many applications, including solar energy research, climate studies, and weather forecasting. It is also used in industries such as agriculture, where it can help determine plant health and water stress levels. Infrared irradiance measurements are also important for satellite and remote sensing technologies.