Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring intensity of superposed waves using complex amplitudes

1. May 9, 2012 #1
    Hi,

Suppose we have the x and y components of the electric field being described as [itex](E_{x}e^{i(kz-\omega t)}, E_{y}e^{i(kz-\omega t +\phi)})[/itex], what is the intensity?

I think the correct answer is [itex]E_{x}^{2} +E_{y}^{2} + 2E_{x}E_{y}\cos\phi[/itex]. However, I am not sure how to deal with this using the Jones formalism. In that, the intensity is given by [itex]E^{\dagger}E[/itex] which would give

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} E_{x}e^{-i(kz-\omega t)} & E_{y}e^{-i(kz-\omega t +\phi)} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} E_{x}e^{i(kz-\omega t)}\\ E_{y}e^{i(kz-\omega t +\phi)}\end{pmatrix} =E_{x}^{2} +E_{y}^{2} [/tex]

Clearly, the above answer is independent of the relative phase and I think it cannot be right because of that. So what is the correct way to calculate the intensity using Jones formalism? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How do you get your first result?
    If you flip the sign of Ey, you modify your calculated intensity, which is wrong.

4. May 10, 2012 #3
    The first result was using

[itex]I = (E_{x}e^{-i(kz-\omega t)}+ E_{y}e^{-i(kz-\omega t +\phi)})(E_{x}e^{i(kz-\omega t)}+ E_{y}e^{i(kz-\omega t +\phi)})[/itex]

Now that I think of it, this doesn't seem correct either. What is the correct expression for intensity?

5. May 11, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

E_x^2 + E_y^2 should be correct.

6. May 11, 2012 #5
    Are you sure about that? Is the phase completely irrelevant in the intensity calculation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook