Reflected wave at complex refrective index

In summary, a plane wave can be described by the real part of the exponential wave equation and the ratio of the amplitude of reflected to incident wave is given by a complex number, which can result in a reflected wave that is out of phase with the incident wave. This can lead to the reflected wave becoming partly circularly polarized, which is used in ellipsometry.
superg33k
A plane wave can be described by the real part of the exponential wave equation:

[tex]\mathbf{E}=E_{0}e^{i(kz-wt)}[/tex]

Adding the subscript i or r for incident or reflected waves, the ratio of the amplitude of reflected to incident wave is given by:

[tex]\frac{E_{r0}}{E_{i0}} = \frac{n_1-n_2}{n_1+n_2}[/tex]

But if n2 is complex, then this leads to a complex Er0. What does this mean for the physical wave, the real part of E?

[tex]\mathbf{E}=E_{r0}e^{i(kz-wt)}=(Re\{E_{r0}\}+iIm\{E_{r0}\})e^{i(kz-wt)}=Re\{E_{r0}\}e^{i(kz-wt)}+Im\{E_{r0}\}e^{i(kz-wt+\pi/2)}[/tex]

To me it looks like 2 out of phase waves are reflected. If this is right can you point me somewhere I can read up more about it? Or have I abused some notation somewhere?

Thanks for your help understanding what's going on.

Science news on Phys.org
No, as you said, you have to take the real part of E, only. A complex E_0 can be written as [itex] |E_0|\exp(i\phi)[/itex]. Hence the reflected wave will be out of phase with the incident one.
For non-perpendicular incidence this leads to the reflected wave becoming partly circularly polarized and is used in elipsometry.

What is a reflected wave?

A reflected wave is an electromagnetic wave that is bounced back when it encounters a change in medium or a boundary between two different materials. This can happen when the wave hits a reflective surface or when it moves from one medium to another with a different refractive index.

What is a complex refractive index?

A complex refractive index is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. It consists of two parts: a real part, which represents the actual refractive index, and an imaginary part, which represents the absorption of the material. The complex refractive index is often used to describe materials that have both reflective and absorptive properties.

How does the complex refractive index affect the reflected wave?

The complex refractive index affects the reflected wave by changing its amplitude and phase. The real part of the complex refractive index determines how much the wave is reflected, while the imaginary part determines the phase shift of the reflected wave. Depending on the values of these two parts, the reflected wave can be amplified, attenuated, or phase shifted.

What is the difference between a simple and a complex refractive index?

A simple refractive index only describes the amount by which a material slows down the speed of light. It does not take into account any other properties of the material. On the other hand, a complex refractive index includes both the real and imaginary parts, which provide a more complete description of how the material interacts with light.

What are some real-world applications of studying the reflected wave at complex refractive index?

The study of the reflected wave at complex refractive index has many practical applications. It is used in the design of optical devices such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms. It is also important in fields such as materials science, solar energy, and telecommunications. Understanding how different materials reflect light can help us develop more efficient and effective technologies.