1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring milliseconds.

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,
    I have been asked to research two types of clock. The first to measure periods of nanoseconds and the second, milliseconds. Obviously I have talked about atomic clocks first but what clock can measure periods of milliseconds?

Cheers

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Millisecond clocks are easier than nanosecond clocks. You would typically have an accurate crystal oscillator running in the 10MHz-100MHz range, and enable a counter with the signal that you want to measure the period of. Does that make sense?

4. Mar 16, 2007 #3
    Yes it makes perfect sense but what is the type of clock called? Could a stopwatch working under this principle measure milliseconds?

5. Mar 16, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

No, a stopwatch is too slow. You need a clock that is many times the signal to be measured, in order to get good accuracy on the measurement. You need approximately 100x the signal frequency, in order to get 1% accuracy in the period measurement, right?

So a 100x clock for a 1ms signal (with a frequency of 1kHz) would be 100kHz, which is easy. More likely you would use a crystal clock oscillator module to generate a 10MHz clock, and feed that into the digital counter string that I mentioned.

Instruments called "frequency counters" are used to make the frequency and period measurements that you are asking about. Here is a wikipedia.org page with basic info on them. You can google frequency counter for more links and info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_counter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?