How can I measure rotational speed of a golf ball and projectiles?

In summary, a strobe/tachometer could be used to detect the rotational speed/angular velocity of a golf ball, but this would be difficult to do because of the small size and movement of the golf ball.
Kariege
I'm planning on carrying out an investigation with a golf ball and projectiles. Is there any type of equipment/sensor that I can used to measure the rotational speed/angular velocity? I know a gun chronograph can be used to detect the velocity but what can I used to detect the angular velocity?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
High speed video of optical properties - like a unique mark.

Something like a strobe/tachometer could work, but it might be tricky to do for a small moving object.

Typical golf ball game speeds are 130 kph

Quantum Defect said:
Something like a strobe/tachometer could work, but it might be tricky to do for a small moving object.
I saw a non-contact laser tachometer. Is it able to detect the rotational speed instantaneously when the golf ball passes the laser? Or do I have to hold the laser into the moving golf ball for a period of time before it can detect the rotational speed?

Thanks

Kariege said:
I saw a non-contact laser tachometer. Is it able to detect the rotational speed instantaneously when the golf ball passes the laser? Or do I have to hold the laser into the moving golf ball for a period of time before it can detect the rotational speed?

Thanks

I think that this will be difficult to do with something designed for working on cars. The ones I saw required affixing reflective material on the object -- I suspect that they are simply measuring the flashes of reflective light as a function of time to come up with the angular velocity.

With the golf ball, as @Doug Huffman noted, you have something small moving very rapidly across the field of view, possibly rotating around more than one axis, so the chances of having the relective bit come back into the frame is unlikely.

I suspect that fast video (as Doug noted) will work the best. I don't know what kind of equipment that the "Super Slo Mo Guys" use, but something along those lines might be able to track the rotational velocity as the golf ball leaves the tee.

Likes Kariege
Quantum Defect said:
I think that this will be difficult to do with something designed for working on cars. The ones I saw required affixing reflective material on the object -- I suspect that they are simply measuring the flashes of reflective light as a function of time to come up with the angular velocity.

With the golf ball, as @Doug Huffman noted, you have something small moving very rapidly across the field of view, possibly rotating around more than one axis, so the chances of having the relective bit come back into the frame is unlikely.

I suspect that fast video (as Doug noted) will work the best. I don't know what kind of equipment that the "Super Slo Mo Guys" use, but something along those lines might be able to track the rotational velocity as the golf ball leaves the tee.
I understand but here I think I'm just examining from a 2 dimensional view. So particularly I will look at backspin. But can I just hold the tachometer and point the laser to the ball and it's track? Can it detect the rotational speed in that way? I've seen the high speed video, they seem very pricy since the video camera should be around 1000fps, so I'm just trying to look for an alternative.

Kariege said:
I've seen the high speed video, they seem very pricy since the video camera should be around 1000fps, so I'm just trying to look for an alternative.
Some consumer cameras for ~300$ can shot at 400-1200fps which should be enough for a golf ball. The resolution is low, but if you know exactly where the ball is, you can place the camera close enough to see the marks. You just need to catch the ball on two frames. Checkout the Nikon 1 for example, maybe some friends have it.

Likes Kariege
Ok I'll probably go out and ask for a camera rental then. Thanks everyone

Kariege said:
Ok I'll probably go out and ask for a camera rental then. Thanks everyone

These clips were shot with the Nikon 1 J1, so you know what to expect. Note that youtube re-encodes them, the original quality is somewhat better.

400FPS:

1200FPS:

Likes Kariege
A.T. said:
These clips were shot with the Nikon 1 J1, so you know what to expect. Note that youtube re-encodes them, the original quality is somewhat better.

400FPS:

1200FPS:

nice, the 1200 fps looks just right with a sufficient resolution. First I thought it will be difficult with a 320x340 video. I'll go ask my friends if they have these kinds of camera with high speed capture soon.
Thanks a lot!

Kariege said:
nice, the 1200 fps looks just right with a sufficient resolution. First I thought it will be difficult with a 320x340 video.
I would paint half of the golf ball black, to get the best 1D rotation reference. Also use as much light as possible, ideally direct sunlight.

Last edited:

What is rotational speed and how is it measured?

Rotational speed is the measure of how fast an object rotates or spins around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in rotations per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s). It can be measured using various instruments such as tachometers, stroboscopes, and accelerometers.

What factors affect rotational speed?

The rotational speed of an object can be affected by various factors such as the mass, shape, and size of the object, as well as the force applied to it. Friction, air resistance, and the presence of other objects can also affect rotational speed.

How is rotational speed used in real life?

Rotational speed is used in many different industries and applications. For example, it is used in the automotive industry to measure the speed of car engines, in manufacturing to monitor the speed of rotating machinery, and in sports to measure the speed of spinning objects such as baseballs and tennis balls.

What are the limitations of measuring rotational speed?

One limitation of measuring rotational speed is that it can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity. Additionally, different instruments may give slightly different measurements due to their precision and accuracy. It is important to consider these factors when comparing measurements.

How can rotational speed be calculated?

Rotational speed can be calculated by dividing the angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete one rotation. It can also be calculated by multiplying the number of rotations by the circumference of the rotating object. Alternatively, it can be measured directly using specialized instruments.