1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring the Gravitational Constant

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1
    A student proposes to measure the gravitational constant G by suspending two spherical objects from the ceiling of a tall cathedral and measuring the deflection of the cables from the vertical. Draw a free-body diagram of one of the objects. If two 100.0 kg objects are suspended at the lower ends of cables 45.00 m long and the cables are attached to the ceiling 1.000m apart, what is the separation of the objects?

My biggest problem here is I'm not sure how to draw a diagram of this. I think once I find out how to draw what's described it will be easier to solve. Is this describing two seperate cables with two separate objects or one cable with two objects attached at the end. Any help in describing the figure I should draw will be great thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Two cables attached at the ceiling exactly one meter apart.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?