Measuring torque acting on motor shaft?

In summary, to measure the average torque required to turn an auger at a given rpm, you would measure PowerIn, VoltageIn, and CurrentIn, and then use the Powerout equation to find the efficiency of the motor.
robertjordan
I have an electric motor that I am using to turn an auger to dispense pet food. I want to measure the average torque required to turn this auger at a given rpm.

I know Powerin = Voltage into motor * Current into motor
and Powerout = Torque exerted by shaft * RPM of auger
and Powerout = Efficiency of motor * Powerin

But how can I find the efficiency of the motor at different voltage inputs? I don't know anything about this motor (I don't even know if it's an AC or DC motor) beyond that it works when connected to a battery and that it changes directions when I swap the leads. How can I find average torque exerted on the shaft by the pet food? I can measure RPM, VoltageIn, and CurrentIn...

Engineering news on Phys.org
It might be possible to measure the torque directly, for example by measuring the torque the motor applies to it's mount. The other possibility is to insert a sensor between motor and auger.

https://www.transducertechniques.com/sts-torque-sensor.aspx

I wouldn't worry about efficiency yet because it varies depending on the motor's operating point. The torque constant can be deduced from speed versus voltage curves. Speed and voltage are easy to measure. From what I've seen, measuring torque directly of a small DC motor requires comparatively elaborate and sensitive instrumentation.

Anyway, let's assume, for example, you want your motor to operate at maximum efficiency. In that case you then want the torque absorbed by the auger to equal the torque produced by the motor at the motor's maximum efficiency speed.

Technical correction: In the power out formula, torque is a physical quantity, whereas RPM is a unit of measure. I think you'd like all the variables to be physical quantities in this type of equation.

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is applied to an object. In the context of a motor shaft, it is the force that is responsible for rotating the shaft. Torque is important because it determines the ability of a motor to perform work and is a crucial factor in the design and performance of machines.

2. How is torque measured on a motor shaft?

Torque can be measured using a torque sensor or a torque wrench. These tools are attached to the motor shaft and measure the force applied to the shaft as it rotates. The resulting measurement is typically recorded in units of newton-meters (N⋅m) or foot-pounds (ft⋅lb).

3. What factors affect the torque acting on a motor shaft?

The torque acting on a motor shaft is affected by several factors, including the force applied to the shaft, the distance between the force and the axis of rotation, the angle of the force relative to the shaft, and the properties of the material the shaft is made of.

4. How does torque affect the speed and power of a motor?

Torque and speed are inversely related in a motor, meaning that as torque increases, speed decreases, and vice versa. This is because the amount of torque required to rotate a shaft at a certain speed is dependent on the load placed on the motor. Power is directly proportional to torque, so increasing the torque on a motor will increase its power output.

5. Can torque be controlled or adjusted on a motor?

Yes, torque can be controlled and adjusted on a motor through various means such as changing the voltage or current supplied to the motor, adjusting the gear ratio, or using a variable frequency drive. This allows for precise control and optimization of the motor's performance.