1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mech - Girder Section - Picture included

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

(i) Is the weight balanced on both sides in a situation like this, in which case it would be:

Or are the weights not equal and infact im meant to work it out with dimensions in terms of letters, for example A-C?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(ii) Could anyone tell me where i can learn about these support structures, i brought a mechanics book but it doesnt cover and after looking on the internet i cant find any good sources of information to teach me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Spadez! :smile:

No, they're not equal.

Hint: take a moment.

4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    Ok, so i take moments but i have to use the distance with respect to the letters, im not given any distances. Can i still do it like that?

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hmm … assuming the triangles are all the same, just say "let AC = CE = EG = 1 unit" … the units will cancel in the end :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?