Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Project

In summary, the conversation revolved around a senior design course where students have to design and fabricate a project from scratch. The student was struggling to come up with ideas related to aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, or aerospace engineering and had a budget of $70. A suggestion was made to search for bicycle fairing ideas, which could reduce drag and provide partial protection from rain within the given budget and time frame.
AJSayad
TL;DR Summary
Request for senior design project idea help
Hi everyone,

This semester I'm enrolled in a senior design course where the students must fully design and fabricate a project from scratch that solves a problem. I've been struggling to think of ideas, so far I have some ideas on a windmill/turbine and a few electricity generation device ideas but none of them seem to be that solid or original.

I was hoping to create a project that is related to aerodynamics, fluid mechanics, or aerospace engineering as this is where I intend to take my career but I've been having a lot of trouble thinking of ideas. Each student has a budget of about $70 (USD) and we need the project to have a prototype and final product. The project also needs to solve some kind of a problem or improve on a previous design.

Any kind of suggestion or nudge in some direction to help jumpstart my brain a little bit would be a huge help. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Search bicycle fairing for some ideas. Reduces drag for better speed, partial protection from rain, and simple enough to build in the time available on the allowed budget.

Likes AJSayad
jrmichler said:
Search bicycle fairing for some ideas. Reduces drag for better speed, partial protection from rain, and simple enough to build in the time available on the allowed budget.
Now how did I know that you were going to suggest that...? :wink:

Likes AJSayad
jrmichler said:
That sounds like a great idea, thanks for the input I'll check it out!

1. What is a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Project?

A Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Project is a culminating project that undergraduate students in mechanical or aerospace engineering must complete in their final year of study. It is a hands-on, team-based project that allows students to apply the knowledge and skills they have learned throughout their undergraduate education to solve a real-world engineering problem.

2. How is a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Project different from other engineering projects?

A Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Project is different from other engineering projects in that it is typically a larger and more complex project that requires students to work in teams and apply a wide range of engineering concepts and skills. It also often involves designing, building, and testing a physical prototype, rather than just completing theoretical calculations or simulations.

3. What types of projects can be done for a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Project?

The types of projects that can be done for a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Project are diverse and can vary based on the interests and expertise of the students and faculty. Some examples include designing a new aircraft or spacecraft, developing a new renewable energy technology, or improving the performance of a current mechanical or aerospace system.

4. How are Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Projects evaluated?

Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Projects are typically evaluated based on a combination of factors, including the quality of the design and prototype, the effectiveness of the team's collaboration and communication, and the overall impact and innovation of the project. Evaluations may also consider the project's adherence to industry standards and regulations.

5. What are the benefits of completing a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Project?

Completing a Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Senior Design Project can have many benefits for students. It allows them to apply their knowledge and skills in a practical and meaningful way, gain experience working in a team, and develop important project management and problem-solving skills. It also provides an opportunity to showcase their abilities to potential employers and can serve as a valuable addition to their resume or portfolio.