1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mechanical Engineering vs Civil Engineering Major?

1. Jun 3, 2012 #1
    I'm interested in either of these disciplines, but I'm stuck between the two. What exactly is the difference between these two fields of engineering and what are the pro's and con's of each? I'm relatively good at math and physics, so in which field would I be able to utilize my skills more? In addition, I heard that civil engineering was more artsy and easy, is that true? That kind of discourages me to pick civil engineering if I could as easily pick up mechanical engineering as a more prestigious degree.

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2012 #2
    any ideas?

4. Jun 4, 2012 #3
    At my university, civil engineering is regarded as easier, but I don't know if this is due to the content, to the school, or just to the people in the major.

5. Jun 4, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The choice is yours. Civil encompasses a wide range of disciplines, including environmental,structural, transportation, surveying , soils and foundations, etc. Requires strong math and physics skills, as does Mechanical Engineering, which focuses on piping design, heating ventilation Air conditioning, engines, heat transfer, structural to name a few. What's your goal?

6. Jun 4, 2012 #5
    I just want a balance of field work and office work and be able to apply engineering skills to help myself and others, not only in the industry but in everydaylife as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook